Question about a real estate sales agent - Posted by Larysa Olejnik

Posted by JohnBoy on May 21, 2000 at 20:46:39:

Protect yourself from what? Worried about what when showing a property to strangers and what does it have to do with getting a license? Clarify your question.

Question about a real estate sales agent - Posted by Larysa Olejnik

Posted by Larysa Olejnik on May 21, 2000 at 20:19:06:

Hello, can someone tell me how they protect themselves or are they worried when showing properties to strangers? I am worried about this very much so that it is keeping me from getting a license. Should I be worried? Thanks.

Re: Question about a real estate sales agent - Posted by Carmen_FL

Posted by Carmen_FL on May 22, 2000 at 11:47:47:

Mainly, it’s common sense. There have been crimes against realtors, but the incidence does not seem to be high. Sometimes we get warnings about a particular individual “preying” on agents. Normally it’s money they are after, or they are stealing from the houses, and no physical harm is done.

Common sense dictates what you do, however. I wouldn’t show houses at night, for instance. What I do is: 1) meet the prospect at the office first, and like has been suggested, get a copy of a drivers license or other ID. This will discourage most would-be attackers from going out with you, if that was their intention. 2) Let someone know where you are and when you will be back (and let the prospect hear you) 3) always carry a cell phone 4) when going into a vacant house, let the prospect in, but make sure they never get between you and the outside door. Most people don’t need you to walk around and point to things. Normally I open the door, let them in first, then wait at the open door, or at the end of a hallway. Don’t go into a room first, or give anyone a chance to corner you. 5) If you feel uncomfortable with a prospect, either go out with a “buddy”, or have a “buddy” who you can call as you approach each house and let them know you are there. Keep your cell-phone pre-dialed to that person’s number, and if anything happens, all you need to do is press the send button and your buddy will know you are in trouble and 6) have people follow you in their own car

I wouldn’t let this fear stop you from getting a license. Just use common sense, as you would in any other situation.

Re: Question about a real estate sales agent - Posted by eric

Posted by eric on May 22, 2000 at 08:50:41:

I assume you are talking about your physical safety. If that is correct, it is a legitamite concern, especially when you are showing vacant houses to a male client. The post from Charles contains good advice, especially letting someone in your office know your whereabouts. Always get the driver’s license, and always have a “check in time” when showing houses alone. Instruct your office to send the police to the houses you are showing if you don’t check in, but MAKE SURE YOU REMEMBER TO CHECK IN. Police don’t like wasting time. Also, don’t deviate from your plan, i.e., showing another house that wasn’t originally planned - tell them you’ll have to do it another day. Also, you should pre-qualify your buyers (you should do that anyway), get their name, address, phone number, and contact their mortgage lender to confirm their pre-qualification, or collect the basic financials to start an infile if they haven’t seen a broker.

Also check the concealed weapons laws in your state. Here in Florida, we give them out like candy. Consider mace, or an ASP retractable baton. Or a small gun, IF you are interested in getting the training on how to use it.

Re: Question about a real estate sales agent - Posted by Charles

Posted by Charles on May 21, 2000 at 21:11:09:

Hi Larysa

I don’t know where you are or your crime rate in your area. My wife and I are both re agents in SW Florida. Our area is not a high crime area but a few agents, particularly female agents, partner up for this reason. I show property and list alone. My wife doesn’t.

During induction into our board there is a brief lecture about crimes against realtors and how to protect yourself. If you take it to heart you would spend most of your time hiding under the bed instead of selling real estate.

Some of the pre-cautions you can take are:

never meet an unknown buyer for the first time outside the office

get a copy of his driver’s lic at the office

always let the receptionist or someone at the office know where you are going

have a trigger word or phrase that you can use to let your office know you are in trouble

use common sense, if he looks suspcious or intimidating don’t get in the car with him. (I use “him” but mean anyone)

Just keep alert and use common sense.