Question about adding 2 rooms - Posted by Fern (CA)

Posted by Fern (CA) on February 13, 2002 at 04:53:41:

Jim thank you very much for your answer. I’m gonna go with a rough estimate from a contractor I know.

Question about adding 2 rooms - Posted by Fern (CA)

Posted by Fern (CA) on February 12, 2002 at 12:47:47:

I’m in the process of possibly obtaining a house for $115,000. It is only a 1bd 1ba 800 sqft home but it is on a nice 7,500 sqft lot. The home itself as it is needs about $1000 in repairs. But I would like to add two rooms and possibly a bathroom. The thing is that I can’t get any contractors to go give a bid yet because the owner is still living there. I’m a realtor and I have an appointment with the owner for a possible listing. But if the deal is sweet enough i will offer to buy it myself without commissions involved. I just need a rough idea on cost to add 2 12’ x 12’ rooms. The ARV is eaisly $160000 in that area. And I mean that If I listed a “new” 3bd 1ba int hat area for $160,000 I would have it sold in less than 7 days for sure. SO I would put an add in the penny saver which generates hundreds of calls on deals that aren’t even this sweet and hope to double end it. and the most I can sell it for is $180,000. So again my main question is if any body can give me a rough figure on adding two rooms to a house.

Re: Question about adding 2 rooms - Posted by GL(ON)

Posted by GL(ON) on February 13, 2002 at 16:42:51:

Why can’t you get a contractor to look at it? Make a written offer conditional on inspection by your contractor. Then get a firm quote. If it is too high you may have to renegotiate but in any case you can back out if the contractor’s report is not satisfactory.

Re: Question about adding 2 rooms - Posted by Jim(WA)

Posted by Jim(WA) on February 13, 2002 at 24:12:37:

Fern,

It’s really tough to give an intelligent answer because I am not clear if is an addition to the side of the house, a second floor addition, finishing off interior space etc. Also, I have found that estimates I get on residential work tends to vary a lot more than on commercial projects (percentage wise). furthermore, construction costs vary depending on region and the amount of construction activity there is in a particular area at a given time. All of that said, I normally figure somewhere around a $125 bucks a Sq ft for additions. Up here construction activity is down and so are the prices.

You are looking at building (2) 12’ x 12’ spaces that would be 288 total sq. ft. 288 x $125 totals around $36,000.

With all of that said, if your contractor is very well experienced he could give you a BUDGET number (based on sq footage & construction type) you can use without him ever looking at the place. I do a lot of design/build work and the contractors I use ALWAYS provide initial budget numbers before I design a thing. I recommend that you not rely on my numbers and get your contractor to provide you a budget number.

Good luck

Jim