Question about VA mortgage - Posted by matt(GA)

Posted by Alicia (MI) on March 27, 2001 at 01:04:26:

The first thing I would do to find the owners is go to your county courthouse. Go to the treasures office and see if the taxes on the property are current. If they are, they will have a current address that they are mailing the bill to. If they are not, I would then go to the recording office (of deeds). I would then look up the current deed and see who now owns it. Also, any mortgage or other liens will be recorded there also. Then try to find the owners. There are a ton of web sites. I would first try information and try and get a phone number. If all fails and you cannot find them, then you can call the VA office and see if the mortgage is in default. You can always try and see if they will sell the paper. I don’t know if VA will do that. I know banks will sometimes, but they don’t always either.
I do a lot of this myself and have had good luck doing it. If you really want to find the owners, you can always hire a skip trace done to. It will cost you some money, so you need to decide how much you really want to find them. Tenant chek offers this service.
Hope this was helpful. Good luck.

Question about VA mortgage - Posted by matt(GA)

Posted by matt(GA) on March 26, 2001 at 15:23:42:

Hi. I found a house which is a great rehab candidate. I have done a lot of research but have not been able to contact the owners. The neighbors said they had been out of the house a couple of years and they thought they were going through a divorce. The house has a lot of potential bot they have really let it run down a bit, a good bit. I estimate fix up value aound $120K, if their loan has been kept current that means they still owe about $71K…Its a VA loan. Is there some way to find out the status of the loan through the VA, or at least find a way to contact the owners?
By the way…its just unbeleivable to me that people let such a beautiful home get so ugly…especially when they only have paid 8 years on a 30 year mortgage…just don’t understand it!