Question For investor in California - Posted by chandra

Posted by Kristine-CA on August 25, 2003 at 24:49:09:

Chandra: my experience says that you will need to shop around for a title company that will give you a prelim without an open escrow. Because prelims are not binding, title companies are very leery of giving them out–even when you offer to pay. However, any title company will sell you the policy. Depending on the value of the property, this may be the best way to go.

I’m curious about your question about the city. The only way that you could “re-possess” it is if the city has a lien against that you they would sell you–and then you would foreclose yourself in order to get title. This assumes that the city’s lien is in first position.

It is up for tax sale? There may be some solutions if that’s the case.

Post more details. There are several people on this board who love the hunt for abandoned properties, myself included, and we could brainstorm with you better if you post more details.

Sincerely, Kristine

Question For investor in California - Posted by chandra

Posted by chandra on August 24, 2003 at 23:17:41:


I’m from ohio.

I have a question regarding a title search in
California. I’ve been told that you can’t pay
a title company to run a full title report for an
individual if you aren’t purchasing/refinancing/etc
a property? Is that true there in CA?

2nd question, a house in CA has been vacant for
10 yrs, owner is out of state/country. It’s in distress
condition, is it possible to convince the city for me
to repossess it, if I tell them that I’ll rehab it? It’s
been an eye-sore for the neighborhood. If I can do it,

Thank you!