Question for Joe Kaiser and anyone else.... - Posted by Charity

Posted by Brad Crouch on December 11, 2000 at 18:33:43:

No! “Lis Pendens” is not an eviction notice. It just means there is some type of litigation on the property.

Eviction notices are frequently called “Unlawful Detainers”.

Question for Joe Kaiser and anyone else… - Posted by Charity

Posted by Charity on December 07, 2000 at 14:49:28:

In my efforts to really get going and start finding the motivated sellers in my market, I went to my local courthouse today looking for the eviction notices. I was told I had to have a name or address. I kept trying to explain that I was looking to find out that info. They said their computers have no capability to give me a list. Any ideas on how to proceed??

Then, I went over to the Property Tax division looking for people who were behind on their taxes. No luck there either. Again, you have to have a name or address or just wait for it to come out as an auction in the newspaper. I want to get them before that point, don’t I?? What do I do now?

Thanks for any info!

Charity

Re: Question for Joe Kaiser and anyone else… - Posted by RFC

Posted by RFC on December 07, 2000 at 23:14:56:

Hey … I did this TODAY myself. I went to the county court house and uncomfortably started describing what I was looking for. I was put down in front of a computer and told that the documents I was looking for are called “LIS PENDENS.” Once I was shown how to query for these documents by date, I was able to view a scanned document of the filing, and gather all sorts of information from there.

I, too, am learning where to get this info.

RFC

Re: Question for Joe Kaiser and anyone else… - Posted by phil fernandez

Posted by phil fernandez on December 07, 2000 at 19:46:35:

When I go down to my courthouse all I do is ask for all of the evictions for Oct. and NOv. They run this info case by case off of their computer so I have a list of say 20 cases, complete with whose sueing who. Then I ask for each individual file and I get them. This is where the real info is.

Same with foreclosures. I go in and ask for all foreclosure actions in Oct. and NOv. and wham the computer printout is handed to me. Then I ask for all of these foreclosure files and the clerk hands them to me.

It’s that simple.

The clerks might at first be a little edgy, but once they get to know you, they’ll do what you ask if you are pleasant to them. After all this is all public information.

Re: Question for Joe Kaiser and anyone else… - Posted by Warner(ATL)

Posted by Warner(ATL) on December 07, 2000 at 16:00:10:

Yes, we are different here in GA, but I’m sure every state can say that in some way.

Eviction files here are garbage, I tried, but everyone their was looking at me cross-eyed. There is a way to do it but the pain exceeds the pleasure. Many counties around Atlanta are just starting to put their records on computer. A few years from now, it should be a lot easier.

As far as back taxes are concerned. This information is listed in the legal notices just like the regular security deed foreclosures, but makes for better prospecting because its a little trickier, and many investors do not follow them.

Had a young lady who inherited a free and clear house call me today to ask me what my postcard was all about. Hadn’t paid taxes in two years. She has not been contacted by any other investor here in town…(Yes!). We’ll talk later today to discuss “opportunities”.

Warner(ATL)

Re: Question for Joe Kaiser and anyone else… - Posted by WilliamGA

Posted by WilliamGA on December 07, 2000 at 15:07:41:

Charity,

I am in Ga as you are. I have found that things are somewhat different here regarding “getting a jump” on things at the court house. Very little is kept here in the local court house in regards to evictions. There is just a defendant and a plaintiff along with a date filed in the “big book” that they keep in the magistrate and civil courts where the evictions are filed here. No “files” loaded with information as some gurus say there are at the court house. When I first visited the local court house here and questioned this, I got the “deer in headlights” look for a while. Then when I filed my first eviction, I learned that they really dont gather that much information. They do not ask for a copy of the lease either so that is not in the nonexistant file.

All they want to know is the name and address of the tenant and how much they owe along with your name and address so they can notify you when a court date has been set.

The scenario is just about as bad for researching foreclosures here. No trigger docs are filed to tip you off so there is no way to get a “jump” on other investors here in the great state of GA. You find out when everyone else does in the trustee’s notice in the paper.

I have spoken with at least 5 different attorneys here regarding finding a way around the foreclosure and the eviction lack of documents and they all said the same thing, “That’s Georgia for you.”

If you have any luck figuring it out please let me know.

WilliamGA

Re: Question for Joe Kaiser and anyone else… - Posted by Geoffrey Faivre-Malloy

Posted by Geoffrey Faivre-Malloy on December 09, 2000 at 08:26:38:

A LIS PENDENS is an eviction notice? I was wondering what that was! :slight_smile:

G-Man

P.S… - Posted by WiliamGA

Posted by WiliamGA on December 07, 2000 at 15:09:21:

I DID get “behind the counter” when I went to these places to get this info. There was just none to get.