Question for re-habbers - Posted by Jeremy Fl

Posted by JD on February 09, 2001 at 20:44:18:

ad:
laborer: drywall, tile, misc., temporary, $12/hr/cash, location, john, xxx-xxxx.
then screen people for tools, exp, trans, etc…
I try to use the same people repeatedly when possible.

Question for re-habbers - Posted by Jeremy Fl

Posted by Jeremy Fl on February 08, 2001 at 15:59:35:

I’ll make this brief and to the point so please reply if you need more details to give me an answer.

I usually hire seperate contractors to do a re-hab. I also do some stuff myself. Due to many projects going on right now I am looking for someone to do the whole project from start to finish.

Well I met a guy at the house today. He can do everything himself except the carpets, which is fine. What and how should I pay him? Weekly,daily,hourly. Or should I just have him bid on the job? I offered to pay him hourly to which he replied $35 an hour which seemed ridiculous, but that is probably what I pay my subs anyway? Oh well I will figure that out later, but I thought it would be interesting to see what everybody pays their handymen? Or should I just hire a general contractor?

I don’t know I guess my real question is who does your repairs and how do you pay them?

Re: Question for re-habbers - Posted by jeremy FL

Posted by jeremy FL on February 09, 2001 at 13:00:00:

1 more thing how long does it take you to do an average re-hab?

Re: Question for re-habbers - Posted by JD

Posted by JD on February 08, 2001 at 23:21:29:

Unless required by law I avoid dealing with contractors. I hire semi skilled labor at approx $12/hr on a temporary basis. Of course you have to be there to tell them what to do.

Re: Question for re-habbers - Posted by Fran Ferrante

Posted by Fran Ferrante on February 08, 2001 at 22:57:25:

I am a General Contractor and Builder ,my advice to you
would be to get a price by the job. Get this Contractor
to complete A house or two. Let him prove himself, see if he stans by his word.Very few contractors will give
you 8 hr of work. Get to know him and his habets ,befor
he can be trusted.Feal free to E mail me any time.
Fran Ferrante
Ferrante Construction

Buy a White Board - Posted by PBoone

Posted by PBoone on February 08, 2001 at 20:42:08:

Separate by job name, Projects to be done, use the same contractors as much as possible BY THE BID ONLY keep control. If there is too much… Hire a foreman for going rate say 7.00-10.00 per hour plus percentage of savings on budget to run jobs making sure everyone is on time. This is not hard you can do it.
Pat

Repeat after me… - Posted by Troy M

Posted by Troy M on February 08, 2001 at 17:42:54:

Never pay by the hour,
Never pay by the hour,
Never pay by the hour

Contractors love nothing more than to get a T&M job (Time & Materials), but you won’t love it.

Get bids on the jobs, preferably itemized and make sure you have a start and end date.

Troy M

Re: Question for re-habbers - Posted by JPiper

Posted by JPiper on February 09, 2001 at 13:24:46:

Longer than you planned on:)

JPiper

Re: Question for re-habbers - Posted by dewCO

Posted by dewCO on February 09, 2001 at 11:22:13:

How do you find these folks? run an ad or what? Thanks, dew

careful here - Posted by John Ohio

Posted by John Ohio on February 08, 2001 at 18:10:27:

Do NOT pay hourly. They will want you to pay hourly for their mistakes, They may charge you when driving to hdw and sometimes to lunch. They will charge you for any call backs, maybe even more.

Bid the job! But let him make a profit. try to build a relatiionship and give him extra if he finishes on time and penalty if he takes much longer. Even a percentage of the deal!
I am an experienced rehabber/investor and contractor. I recently got rid of most field employees(hourly) and am going to contractors, for % of deal.

Any cntractor that even wants to work hourly is probably not worth it. They can make more money bidding job. But you have to be explicit one the bid job list, includinghow to handle extras!

BTW get a independent contractor from signed, either way. Hourly you may be later classed as employer which could lead to future liabilitys.

Good luck!