Questions about Bandit Signs. Please help! - Posted by John

Posted by David TN on June 27, 2003 at 12:05:55:

Goes to show — There is 2 in every crowd!

Questions about Bandit Signs. Please help! - Posted by John

Posted by John on June 26, 2003 at 19:34:15:

Hi,

I want to use Bandit signs as I hear they bring alot of business to people. But I am worried where to put them, will a cop get mad if he sees me put them up, will I get in trouble.

I think I am being paranoid about this. Everyone I speak to says I should just buy the darn signs and put them up because they are getting alot of good calls from them.

I just want advice from some people here that use them. Am I basically worried over a big nothing?

John

Re: Questions about Bandit Signs. Please help! - Posted by Lisa

Posted by Lisa on June 27, 2003 at 14:38:54:

How do you get business if you don’t portray yourself as a reputable company? Bandit signs would make me think of every other fly by night company who promotes their product in exactly the same way.

make your car a Bandit Sign…! - Posted by david

Posted by david on June 27, 2003 at 01:26:31:

put big ass magnetic signs on your car! Especially a sign on the back so that anyone sitting behind you in traffic cant miss it! I get alot of calls from this.
david

call your municipality and ask about it. - Posted by david

Posted by david on June 27, 2003 at 01:21:46:

In Augusta Georgia you can be cited for it. Here in South Carolina too. Try it. If you get a ticket then stop. Avoid private property and see what happens. Its easier to get forgiveness than permission.

Original question has still not been answered! - Posted by Kristy-AZ

Posted by Kristy-AZ on June 26, 2003 at 23:25:50:

John,

As far as putting the signs up, I am still not sure if the ordinary police officer, that see’s you putting them up will bother you or not. You would have to check with your local laws.

I put them up, and I always get nervous if I see a patrol car. My husband says that they really won’t be wasting thier time trying to bother me as they have better things to do. It’s usually the Code Compliance Department that hassles people. At least here.

So if anyone else would like to chime in on my husbands theory, (EXCEPT JACK!!!) please do tell!

Kristy-AZ

Re: Sleaze Ball Signs - Posted by Jack

Posted by Jack on June 26, 2003 at 22:33:13:

I wouldn’t recommend putting them in my neighborhood. Once I remove one I get an adrenaline rush and start driving all over town looking for more Sleaze Ball signs from the same company. Then I accidently program your phone number into my internet connection software, and dial your number a couple of hundred times. Sue me.

Re: Questions about Bandit Signs. Please help! - Posted by Walt Smith

Posted by Walt Smith on June 26, 2003 at 21:14:45:

They are very good except in areas where the sign police (codes people) stop you and fine you 275.00 per sign.

Check with your local government to be sure its OK

Re: Questions about Bandit Signs. Please help! - Posted by shane AMP

Posted by shane AMP on June 26, 2003 at 21:13:04:

I have to admit that bandit signs are one of the most successful inexpensive means of advertising I have experienced. The flip side of that coin is that they are illegal to put them in the right of way where I live. You can go to your local city hall websight and search local ordinances, this will give you the info. you need.

Answers - Posted by TCR_Va

Posted by TCR_Va on June 26, 2003 at 20:10:14:

Bandit signs in MOST locales are illegal to post on poles, posts, walls, rocks, wires, etc. I use them because they work. And yes, I got a call from a cop recently telling me to remove mine else face a $100 fine PER sign PER day until they are removed. So I guess I have to remove them - which sucks - they work so well!

Re: Questions about Bandit Signs. Please help! - Posted by alia

Posted by alia on June 29, 2003 at 02:35:55:

our company uses bandit signs successfully. in fact, there has been no credibility issue associated with them from any lead we have received. i think it is a standard practice in the industry suggesting that the credibiilty issue is minimal or has little or no impact on business. just a thought

Re: Original question has still not been answered! - Posted by Stewart Preston

Posted by Stewart Preston on June 27, 2003 at 18:48:04:

I wonder if putting some in the ground versus utility poles (owned by the utility) makes a difference? Also, on another post someone mentioned a site where you can get a toll free number. That seems to me a great way not to be traced or a cell number without anything on the voice mail to indentify you, but I guess that wouldn’t work.

Re: Original question has still not been answered! - Posted by Jay Phx

Posted by Jay Phx on June 27, 2003 at 08:46:02:

Kristy,
I was “pulled over” in Mesa just a couple weeks ago while putting out signs! The cop saw me banging my sign in on the corner and hit his lights, sirens, and the whole nine. I played dumb, but he told me if he saw me again he would fine me $300 bucks per sign! That would’ve been a $1200 night on that one corner alone! Not to mention the 45 other signs I had already put out :wink: Last week I got a letter from the city of Phoenix citing the exact corners and the writing on my signs with a warning from them too! We just have to be careful when doing it I guess. I used to go at night, but I think it’s too easy to get caught that way because it’s not as busy. Now I do them during the days instead, and where different style wigs and mustaches(LOL)!

Jay Phx

bandit signs and husband theory - Posted by dell-one

Posted by dell-one on June 27, 2003 at 08:21:37:

… i wouldnt get too comfortable with the husband’s theory. In our town cops like to sit around eating donuts and find easy targets comitting “crimes”.

you can always askl yoursself the question, what is the worst thing that could happen? I seriously doubt that it would be more than a warning, especially if you play ignorant.

another viewpoint

dell-ohio

I see many fines coming!! - Posted by Andy

Posted by Andy on June 28, 2003 at 10:52:57:

With the new No-call list, I would suggest you be sure that the people you are harrassing aren’t on that list.

I personally hope you get fined for everytime that phone rings! Maybe that will put a dent in your EGO!

An interesting response I heard - Posted by NCPaul

Posted by NCPaul on June 27, 2003 at 16:18:00:

I was telling my friend about a thread similar to this when bandit signs came up before and he had a solution that you bandit sign lovers might find interesting. He lost a few signs on a street corner and decided to get even. He put one more up, it came down. He then put two up, they came down. He put four up, they came down. By the time he got to thirty two, he found all but one had been taken down and neatly stacked. Seemed to be a truce from his angle. I thought it was funny.

Good luck

Re: Sleaze Ball Signs-They Work - Posted by Linda Simms

Posted by Linda Simms on June 27, 2003 at 09:46:21:

I tend to agree with most of the comments about Jack. Say what you will about Bandit or as he calls them Sleeze Ball signs. But around here they work better than any advertisement method, i.e. newspapers, flyers, billboards letters, post cards, you name it. This is by actual trial and comparison. In addition, you can say the same about political yard signs that sprout all over the place prior to elections, and don’t seem to get bothered.

Jack, You’re the man … Too Funny NT - Posted by MJK

Posted by MJK on June 27, 2003 at 09:26:40:

NT

I love it ! A little sensitive are we? - Posted by dell-ohio

Posted by dell-ohio on June 27, 2003 at 08:47:46:

Geez guys relax … see the humor in this. I for one thought Jacks post was funny.

Suspect the response depends on if you use the signs or if pople are uglifying your prpperties and neighborhoods with them.

I own a muti-unit on a corner lot by a traffic light and I am constantly removing bandit signs from the telephone pole. Not only, We buy houses signs but also, cheap insurance, make a million dollars overnight, lose a hundred pounds in two days etc etc. …

hey jack, whats the web address for thse autodialers…

I am going after my espresso now, hope to have your response whan i get back

: - )

dell-ohio

Re: Sleaze Ball Signs - Posted by Nick(Houston)

Posted by Nick(Houston) on June 27, 2003 at 07:16:06:

LOSER