Questions about finding the right rehabbers.... - Posted by Charity

Posted by Trump on April 27, 2000 at 15:08:22:

The first thing you dont do is call the big ads in the yellow pages. Look for a community “shopper” and check the ads. Get everything in writing and NEVER, NEVER< NEVER give anyone money up front. Work on draws … about 3… and leave money until the job is 100%. Now your ready to start weeding them out till you find a good one. Good luck

Questions about finding the right rehabbers… - Posted by Charity

Posted by Charity on April 27, 2000 at 14:25:48:

We’d like to do at least one retail flip this year, which means we are going to have to find reasonable and reputable rehabbers. If we like rehabs, we may concentrate on that for awhile and have a lot more business for these individuals (especially since I also sell homes to investors who need rehabbers).

My question is how dis you all go about finding the right people, who are hard working, reasonably priced and dependable? I called one guy last week to paint a room in my house (the nursery, which we need done quickly before our child arrives from Guatemala) and he said he would come last Tuesday. I also explained that I may need him for several projects a year (he does all sorts of things). He never called or showed up.

Re: Questions about finding the right rehabbers… - Posted by Mark-GA

Posted by Mark-GA on April 28, 2000 at 09:32:06:

I have had luck going to the local hardware store, finding the oldest guy in there, and asking him if he knows a good handyman. They usually have a few cards.

Anytime I see one of my neighbors having work done, I ask them about the person that did it. I ask even if I don’t need anyone at the moment.

I ask other investors in my area. They are often reluctant to give the names of their best people, but sometimes you get lucky.

Once, I saw a guy at Home Depot with a “Handyman” magnet sign. After trying him out on a few small deals, he is becoming a regular for me.

On another note, once I find someone that works out for me, I treat them right (when I am able). I use bonuses for some. I always pay quick. If I trust them, I even prepay portions of the job (always holding back some). I find out what motivates them, and try to provide what they want. Basically, treat them as I would like to be treated if I were in their place. This results in better workmanship and higher profits for everybody…

Re: Questions about finding the right rehabbers… - Posted by rita

Posted by rita on April 27, 2000 at 21:15:52:

Charity,
I found my repair crew through local churchs, a lot of honest hard working groups looking for full time work are avaliable, I called several pators and asked if they had painters, roofers, general contractors,ect they’d recommend, then interviewed several, and they’ve been hard workers every since,it might work for you !
Happy Hunting!
rita

Re: Questions about finding the right rehabbers… - Posted by Jen- LA

Posted by Jen- LA on April 27, 2000 at 17:29:47:

We found our “contractor” through our next door neighbor- she uses him on her rentals and around the house and she raved about him for years before we finally used him. She was right- he will NEVER go back on a quote. Turns out, a lot of people I know use him. I suggest asking around to people you know and trust- avoid the yellow pages if you can, our contractor’s been working non-stop for 30 years without ever advertising. Those are the kind of people you want to build a relationship with- they are honest and trustworthy and- busy! And they do what they say they are going to do. Ask around.