Quickest and easiest way of figuring out comps? - Posted by David MacGown

Posted by JoeB(Atlanta) on December 13, 1999 at 18:17:54:

I just read a thread (few messages below) called “Online comps” that answers your questions. Check it out.

Joe Brillante

Quickest and easiest way of figuring out comps? - Posted by David MacGown

Posted by David MacGown on December 13, 1999 at 17:17:59:

I don’t live in a city big enough to take advantage of on-line comparable services. If I could figure out my own sales comparables I would. I can’t do much without first knowing what the FMV is and relying on a Realtor to do a market analysis in timely fashion is a joke.

Maybe I’m not dangling a big enough carrot in those wabits faces.

How do some of you motivate agents to do a market analysis on a property quickly?

If you don’t use Realtors for this ,what is the best way to get comps-through appraisers?

Thanks a million!
David

Re: Quickest and easiest way of figuring out comps? - Posted by george

Posted by george on December 15, 1999 at 22:15:09:

homes.wsj.com and http://dowjones.homepricecheck.com/top.html
has recent sales info.

Re: Quickest and easiest way of figuring out comps? - Posted by Russ Sims

Posted by Russ Sims on December 14, 1999 at 19:38:45:

Have you tried your local title company? They do my comps for free. Of course their hope is that you’ll bring the title work to them…it’s great!
Russ

Re: Quickest and easiest way of figuring out comps? - Posted by DB_ATL

Posted by DB_ATL on December 13, 1999 at 18:20:25:

David, If you live in a fairly small town, I would go down to the county clerk or recorders office and look up the mortgage book for this year. it will give you the address of the property, the buyer, and the total amount of the mortage. The property tax office will have the more or less current value on any properties that have been recently sold, but you have to be careful, because they are not always accurate. Looking in the grantor/grantee books will give you the security deeds, which will show the purchase price and the address. I don’t know what state you are in, but in Georgia, the security deed and the warranty deed are recorded together. sales info is easy to find this way if you are just looking for recent sales. You might look up some of the records for properties you know of that have sold recently. Or you could pay a realtor to save you the trouble. As for appraisers, I would think you would have to pay them too. All the info you need is at the courthouse, but you will have to learn how to find it. I have an agent friend who looks up stuff for me, but I give her computer lessons in return!