Quit-Claim Deed Tax - Posted by Anthony (CA)

Posted by dealmaker on April 12, 2006 at 08:03:00:

Having “elderly” parents transfer ANY capital asset to their offspring is a BAD idea almost all the time. Particularly so in a high appreciation area like CA.

When they die, and you inherit the ppty you will do so at a “step up” in basis. As an example, they bought the house in '75 for $50K, they die next year and you inherit it, but it’s then worth $550K, you sell it for $550K, you owe NO tax on the gain.

Also if they are looking to deplete their assets to gain access to Medicaid, I believe there is a 5 year “look-back” rule. This prevents people from depleting their assets in order to “impoversh” themselves to gain access to Medicaid.

Again, WHY do you want to do this?

dealmaker

Quit-Claim Deed Tax - Posted by Anthony (CA)

Posted by Anthony (CA) on April 11, 2006 at 17:34:28:

Hello - I was just wondering what (if any) tax repercussions there may be for either myself or my parents, if they were to do a quit-claim deed to myself? Thanks in advance.

Re: Quit-Claim Deed Tax - Posted by dealmaker

Posted by dealmaker on April 11, 2006 at 21:51:51:

The more important question is WHY are your parents going to quit claim a ppty to you? There could be very serious tax consequences due to a “step up” in value. I’m guessing your parents are elderly.

dealmaker

Re: Quit-Claim Deed Tax - Posted by Anthony (CA)

Posted by Anthony (CA) on April 11, 2006 at 22:12:57:

Yes, they are elderly. They want to change the title to their property to my name but we’re not sure of the best way to do this.

Re: Quit-Claim Deed Tax - Posted by John

Posted by John on April 12, 2006 at 08:05:47:

You need to explain the reason here. Like dealmaker ask “WHY”? The if to avoid probate there are much better ways than just signing a quit claim deed. The tax bite could be a killer if not done right.