Quit Claim Deed to John Elway - Posted by JohnD(CO)

Posted by Rob FL on November 11, 1998 at 22:50:37:

I am a senior title examiner at a title company. Been doing it for 7 yrs. and seen lots of quiet-title suits and litigation in this area. A lot of vindictive people have ended up in deep trouble. Please enlighten us on the extent of your law/title experience.

Quit Claim Deed to John Elway - Posted by JohnD(CO)

Posted by JohnD(CO) on November 11, 1998 at 12:34:56:

Has anyone ever Quit Claimed a Property to someone that is not aware of the transaction (just to get it out of their own name). If so were there any problems. For example, a quit claim to a famous person such as John Elway or a non profit corp such as the United Way. I dont have a specific objective in doing this at the moment, I am just curious.

Re: Quit Claim Deed to John Elway - Posted by Bronchick

Posted by Bronchick on November 12, 1998 at 10:04:15:

Ed Wachsman hit it right on the head - there is no acceptance, so no transfer.

I live in CO - transfer to me! (kidding)

Re: Quit Claim Deed to John Elway - Posted by Ed Wachsman

Posted by Ed Wachsman on November 12, 1998 at 04:24:55:

One of Bill Bronchick’s course (Be Your Own Real Estate Attorney???) explains that (in all/most states?) one of the criteria for a deed to be valid is acceptance by the Grantee. That would not be present in the scenario you present.

As was alluded to elsewhere in the replies, if merely granting the deed to someone was all it took, transferring properties with environmental hazards and other violations of public policy would become a sport.

Re: Quit Claim Deed to John Elway - Posted by Rob FL

Posted by Rob FL on November 11, 1998 at 21:51:20:

A few years ago in FL they passed a law which said that no one could give a deed to a government entity without the governments knowledge.

The problem was that people would have a property with 10 mowing liens or code enforcement liens or environmental hazards and they would just deed it over to the city to unload the property. The city didn’t want it so they would use the statute and declare the deed void.

Pulled over by the police - Posted by John Behle

Posted by John Behle on November 11, 1998 at 16:07:50:

Any truth to the rumor that John Elway was pulled over during the O.J. chase? I heard the police picked up the radio broadcast about finding and pulling over a “slow moving white Bronco”. ((((just kidding))))

Why would you do this? - Posted by raelynn mitchell

Posted by raelynn mitchell on November 11, 1998 at 13:39:57:

It matters what you are trying to accomplish. To my knowledge, in quit-claiming a property, you do not give up any responsibilities (such as to a lender), only any rights or interests you may have had in the property.

Perhaps it would be better if you defined a scenario or goal (hypothetical or real) you are trying to accomplish, and then the people here could give possible solutions to that issue.

I could give you a quit claim deed to the White House, and it would be “legal”. But that’s because I would be giving up any possible claim or vested interest. It doesn’t need to mean that there IS an interest.

Read This For Another Chuckle… - Posted by raelynn mitchell

Posted by raelynn mitchell on November 13, 1998 at 02:04:54:

An engineer dies and reports to the pearly gates. St. Peter checks his dossier and says, “Ah, you?re an engineer – you?re in the wrong place.” So the engineer reports to the gates of hell and is let in. Pretty soon, the engineer gets dissatisfied with the level of comfort in hell, and starts designing and building improvements. After a while, they?ve got air conditioning and flush toilets and escalators, and the engineer is a pretty popular guy.

One day God calls Satan up on the telephone and says with a sneer, “So, how?s it going down there in hell?” Satan replies, “Hey, things are going great. We?ve got air conditioning and flush toilets and escalators, and there?s no telling what this engineer is going to come up with next.” God replies, “What??? You?ve got an engineer? That?s a mistake – he should never have gotten down there; send him up here.” Satan says, “No way. I like having an engineer on the staff, and I?m keeping him.” God says, “Send him back up here or I`ll sue.” Satan laughs uproariously and answers, “Yeah, right. And just where are YOU going to get a lawyer?”

Hyundai’s & Bronco’s - Posted by raelynn mitchell

Posted by raelynn mitchell on November 13, 1998 at 01:58:44:

I’ve always wondered why L.A.P.D. and California Hwy Patrol could stop a Hyundai (Rodney King’s) moving (supposedly) at 100 mph and could NOT stop a Bronco moving at 35 mph.

(I know, it’s twisted…)

raelynn

It Be Funny But >>> - Posted by Dont E-Mail Me

Posted by Dont E-Mail Me on November 11, 1998 at 20:03:54:

J E ( last year ) took over the Rosen Novack Ford dealership ( along with some 49 others over the last 5 years) It’s at the point you almost can’t buy any make of car with out having some one tell you to go check out one of J E 's lot too !!! and the realy bad thing is that’s J E not J C . As so many are ready to do (after all the air for grey matter types just voted for the 1% tax for there new home ) and J E has not played a game yet ( after the vote ) in fact he has let it be knowen this is his ( real ) last year !!!

Thanks for the chuckle - Posted by Mark R in KCMO

Posted by Mark R in KCMO on November 11, 1998 at 16:31:23:

John,

That might have been an oldie but I hadn’t hear it before!

Mark R in KCMO

Re: Why would you do this? - Posted by Steve Meiners

Posted by Steve Meiners on November 11, 1998 at 20:10:05:

Many of people have made millions of dollars using quit claims. It is simple. Just quit claim your interest in property you do not own to a third party. This puts a cloud on the title and when the rightful owners try to sell the parcel they will be more than happy to pay a “small” fee to to have the cloud lifted.

Re: It Be Funny But >>> - Posted by JohnBoy

Posted by JohnBoy on November 11, 1998 at 21:51:50:

I remember hearing on the radio with-in the last year that someone bought out all of Elway’s dealerships for a cool $80 million.

Re: Why would you do this? - Posted by Rob FL

Posted by Rob FL on November 11, 1998 at 21:47:42:

And then the true owners will sue you, the grantor on the deed, for intentionally clouding their title.

That be WH - Posted by JohnD(CO)

Posted by JohnD(CO) on November 11, 1998 at 22:09:34:

Wayne Huzinga (I am confident the spelling is wrong). But I be not sure what % of JE dealerships were sold to WH.

Posted by Steve Meiners on November 11, 1998 at 21:54:11:

Sure, if they want to defend a counter suit which they will lose.

Re: That be WH - Posted by Redline

Posted by Redline on November 12, 1998 at 15:32:48:

This is correct. Wayne’s company Republic Industries bought either all or a good percentage of Mr. Elways dealerships for $80MILL. You could say Mr. Elway is a very smart business man.

Re: Why would you do this? - Posted by Rob FL

Posted by Rob FL on November 11, 1998 at 22:11:57:

Lets see I hate my neighbor. So I intentionally file a quit-claim deed on his property to screw up his title. Neighbor then sues me for screwing up his title, the judge voids the quit claim deed and I pay damages of $x thousand dollars to the seller for intentionally clouding his title. Not much difference as intentionally damaging his car or intentionally running over his dog.

Posted by Steve Meiners on November 11, 1998 at 22:35:15:

Interesting, comparing quit claims to dogs & cars. What happened to the cow?