Quit Claiming property, lawyer needed?? - Posted by Jose M. ( RI)

Posted by Judy on December 02, 1999 at 14:29:52:

I know this can be done but I’m still not sure of wording. If anyone knows how to word this on quit claim please help. 2 people have 50/50 on deed as tenants in common. l person wants to give other person on deed 25% of their 50%. So the end result is a change to 75/25.
Judy

Quit Claiming property, lawyer needed?? - Posted by Jose M. ( RI)

Posted by Jose M. ( RI) on December 02, 1999 at 09:27:05:

I am currently in the process of having a parking lot deeded over to me. I’m not sure how it works, but I have heard that it is as simple as signing. Taxes are up to date and there is no mortgage or encumberance of any sort. How ever I feel that I should have an attorney handle this. What are the costs involved in this? Can someone please point this newbie in the right direction? Thanks in advance.

Probably not, but maybe a title company… - Posted by steve

Posted by steve on December 02, 1999 at 12:36:04:

You need to be aware, though, that a quit claim deed only conveys whatever interest the grantor holds, whether that be a fee simple estate or absolutely nothing at all. What Bill and John have said are correct, but you unless you are absolutely sure of the condition of title, you might want to pay a few hundred dollars for a title search. That way, you’ll know exactly what you’re getting.

Re: Quit Claiming property, lawyer needed?? - Posted by Bill Barnes-MI

Posted by Bill Barnes-MI on December 02, 1999 at 10:43:45:

I just went through this on some property I got from my parents. You do not need and attorney for this. The county courthouse however would not accept the Quit Claim deed that I had. They needed to use their own.
Have the seller go to the courthouse and they will give them a Quit Claim deed.

Good luck
Bill

Re: Quit Claiming property, lawyer needed?? - Posted by John(NH)

Posted by John(NH) on December 02, 1999 at 09:53:17:

You really don’t need an attorney. A quitclaim deed is usually one page deeding the seller’s interest (if any) to you. The seller will draw up the deed, and you should be the one to record it at the recorders office. If you want to see what they look like, go down to the records office and pull up some quitclaim deeds. If you have an attorney handle this, he might charge $100 to $200 for the same thing.