R.V. pads vs. mobile pads whats the difference? - Posted by d kopp

Posted by David Krulac on March 01, 2007 at 22:19:29:

there’s a place near here that has a mobile section and an RV section. I learned from the owner many of the RV pads are rented to local people in lieu of a storage place. Also there are some permanent residents living in the RV section. The rent is the same in both sections, RV and mobile at $300 per month. And of course there are transients that rent the RV spaces too. Here in Pa. the summer is a much bigger RV season than winter, though that might be different near the ski slopes or hunting areas. Neither section had either wells or septics but community treatment plant and water supply operated by the park, that serviced both section.

R.V. pads vs. mobile pads whats the difference? - Posted by d kopp

Posted by d kopp on February 21, 2007 at 03:40:56:

I am currently looking at a property that has 8 R.V. service sites and 5 mobile sites (expandable to 10). I don’t like the idea of running an R.V. park but I would like to have more mobiles. What is the difference between these sites and would it be easy to convert them over?

This deal looks interesting to me, and I am wondering if it would be a good one to start out with. I don’t have a lot of money (actually none) as I am starting out. I have done some lonnnie deals and I understand the logic behind starting small, but this deal does look pretty good. It comes with a stick-built home (looks okay) with a rental suite in the bottom, 8 R.V. pads and 5 mobile pads (expandable to 10) for about $220,000. The problem is that it is about 4 hours from where I currently live and the town it is in is quite small and secluded. However, at the moment it claims to produce $1800 per month in rent while allowing the owner to live in the top half of the house. This is enough to cover a mortgage payment entirely. I haven’t bought anything larger than a mobile before and I don’t want to get stuck with a non-performing asset so large and far from home, but it does look a lot like opportunity from here.

I know this is a general question, and I apologize for that. It is advisable to take on a large purchase a day’s drive from home when you are starting out if it creates positive cashflow?
What is the cost of converting R.V. pads to mobile pads?

Re: R.V. pads vs. mobile pads - Posted by Tony Colella

Posted by Tony Colella on February 21, 2007 at 06:23:34:

Typically the RV lots have smaller everything. The lot is smaller. The electric service is smaller. The septic is smaller. Depending on the lay of the land, zoning, setbacks etc. it may be possible to upgrade but may also not be cheap.

As for this small, mixed use type of park, I personally would not take on such a property unless I was nearby. The rv lots if operated as rv lots may require someone on site or nearby. The mobile home lots will need someone to collect, solve problems, show etc. These small parks can be good money makers but they tend to require our presence. The small size does not typically allow us to afford a trustworthy, full time, onsite manager.

Your mileage may vary. Just some food for thought.

Tony