Radon Results - Posted by Joe

Posted by Bill K. - FL on February 17, 2000 at 15:38:35:

Read your contract and any radon rider for the answer.

Radon Results - Posted by Joe

Posted by Joe on February 17, 2000 at 15:34:01:

My wife and I recently placed a contract on a brand new home. After completing the inspection process, including a radon test, we learned that the radon level in the home was significantly in excess of the standard 4 pico-curies per liter. While we understand that this problem can be mitigated, we know that it will make re-sale difficult later. WE WANT OUT OF THE CONTRACT!!! Has anyone had any experience with this? If so, what did you do?

Thanks

Re: Radon Results - Posted by miloneco

Posted by miloneco on February 18, 2000 at 20:03:59:

Radon is nothing to be scared of.Without proper ventilation a house can have high radon levals but the building industry has come up proper ways to ventilate buildings and reduce radon levals to acceptible levals.
Call your state university extention office for further info.As far as I am concerned the concern can be dealt with reasonably and you may use it as leverage with the seller.Good Luck

Re: Radon Results - Posted by B.L.Renfrow

Posted by B.L.Renfrow on February 17, 2000 at 19:52:18:

As long as the home has a mitigation system properly installed, and post-installation testing shows an acceptable level, it’s usually not a big deal.

When I bought my personal residence, the home inspection revealed an elevated radon level. Naturally, I asked for either a price reduction or installation of a radon mitigation system. The seller opted to install the system, which has functioned perfectly now for seven years, with no excess radon readings.

Interestingly, the home is now for sale, and several potential buyers have commented favorably: “Oh, I see it has a radon system installed. That’s great! We wouldn’t have to worry about radon.” So it actually can be more of a positive than a negative on resale.

Brian (NY)