re roof question - Posted by Mike

Posted by David Krulac on October 21, 2003 at 19:46:02:

no,

on occasion I’ll use a home inspector, particularily if dealing with a high priced property or a particular area of concern. But for the most part we are not buying with inspections. Many of the properties are foreclosures, some without access to the inside of the property, sometimes with all the utilities turned off, etc. We’re dealing in volume and buying in most cases sub-wholesale.

David Krulac
Central Pennsylvania

re roof question - Posted by Mike

Posted by Mike on October 18, 2003 at 21:14:14:

Hello,

I have a question on re-roofing, no tear-off. When having a roof re shingled is the chimney flashing and vent stack covers usually replaced or reused? Thanks.

I got a roof horror story… - Posted by David Krulac

Posted by David Krulac on October 20, 2003 at 17:50:36:

just bought a house, a new roof was installed in 1996.
After settlement, we had a real bad rain storm and the roof leaked. There were several places where it was leaking. Called the roofer to see about getting a repair job. Turns out the roof was installed by amateurs, probably the home owner. The drip edges were installed backwards, the valleys were installed wrong, and the shingles weren’t installed right. Just a p@#$ poor job. Had to have the entire roof removed, found rotten wood on part of roof and have a new professional roof installed.

Those shingles looked good, and the roof was only 7 yeras old but it was awful.

Re: re roof question - Posted by Long Beach Ed

Posted by Long Beach Ed on October 19, 2003 at 19:13:13:

I work like Dave does. It is proper to replace everything, though few mechanics do. If the stuff is sound and shows no wear, I’d leave it, rather than risk a crummy job by a poor mechanic. If it shows any signs of deterioration, it should be replaced. Copper is the only way to go when it comes to flashing. Avoid rubber, plastic, aluminium, “membrane with tar” and other creap rubbish.

Local custom (and how much you bargained on price) usually dictates exactly what is included in a reroofing.

• Ed

Re: re roof question - Posted by RichV(FL)

Posted by RichV(FL) on October 19, 2003 at 18:23:41:

Hey Mike,

I replace also. I have had one problem with old flashing around a skylight where we were getting water.

They put a new roof on and left the old flashing and water was getting in. So they had to come out again and put new flashing in.

In my opinion sometimes its better just to put new in. At least you know you’ll get a fair amount of years out of it instead of dealing with the old stuff in the near future.

Best of luck,

RichV(FL)

Re: re roof question - Posted by Ray_CO

Posted by Ray_CO on October 19, 2003 at 09:39:10:

The vent stacks will almost always be re-used when there is no tear off. Chimney flashing is replaced. It also will depend in the code in your area.

Re: re roof question - Posted by David Krulac

Posted by David Krulac on October 18, 2003 at 21:30:12:

I usually replace, but have seen reuse. I’ve done multiple roofs per year. I always tear off and always use 40 year shingles, replace any bad wood. I do this even if the house is to be sold soon.

Did you have an inspection on the house? - Posted by JJ

Posted by JJ on October 21, 2003 at 11:04:44:

I assume an inspector will be able to find out the problem, right? Did you have an inspection before buying the house?