Ready to get Started! - Posted by Jason

Posted by Craig_NOLA on April 13, 1999 at 23:27:24:

Jason,

I started in real estate and paper on a part-time basis about a year and a half ago and have been full-time since the beginning of the year. (I just turned 30, BTW.) I tried everything under the sun (multilevel marketing, etc.) before I discovered REI. Most everyone I know, especially my family, thought I was nuts-- first to get involved with REI at all, then to quit my job and go full-time. Do NOT listen to the naysayers and the dream-stealers. It is very important that you surround yourself as best you can with supportive people: visit this website often, join your local REI club, and cultivate friendships with others who are striving toward their dreams.

Also, read “Rich Dad, Poor Dad” and “The Cashflow Quadrant” by Robert Kiyosaki. Both are available at amazon.com. They will teach you many vital lessons about investing and entrepreneurship and about how the mindset of the truly successful entrepreneur differs from that of the masses.

Finally, for a new investor, the amount of information available and the number of different approaches to REI can be staggering. Learn everything you can, but don’t let it overwhelm you. You don’t need to know everything to make a lot of money in this business. In addition, learn one or two approaches, put them into practice, and spend some time perfecting them before you try to take on anything else. Trying to become a jack-of-all-trades leads to becoming a master of none. It can also induce paralysis of analysis.

Good luck and feel free to e-mail me if I can be of further help.

Craig

Ready to get Started! - Posted by Jason

Posted by Jason on April 13, 1999 at 16:06:18:

I am 27 years old and I am tired of dead end jobs and working for others. Some say “your only 27 and tired already, grow up!” I say there has got to be a better way. Real Estate has always interested me and I think its time to take the plunge. Thank goodness i found this sight, it has been very informative. My tentative road map is:

1. Buy a Course. Not sure which one yet.
  2. Read books and study.
  3. Make first deal.
  4. Make more deals. Invest short term, pay bills and
    enough to live.
  5. Bills paid. Invest long term.

My questions are. Does anybody have any suggestions for this road map? What are the best, lowest risk ways to invest short term?
Any other general advice would be helpful.
Basically no seed money to start with.
Thanks in advance,
Jason

Re: Ready to get Started! - Posted by Jason_MemTN

Posted by Jason_MemTN on April 14, 1999 at 18:00:34:

Thanks to all who have given me words of encouragement. It boggles my mind how much everyone is willing to help others on this site. Found this site just three days ago and I am an addict. Don’t understand everything being talked about but trying to soak it in.
Today I ordered Rich Dad, Poor Dad and my first course. Can’t wait for either to get here.

Re: Ready to get Started! - Posted by Rob FL

Posted by Rob FL on April 14, 1999 at 17:41:25:

Don’t listen to all the losers who will try a discourage you. Probably most of the people who are discouraging you have never owned a business or investment that created PASSIVE income (other than mutual funds) in their entire life. And if they don’t have passive income then they don’t understand money or investing at all. All they know is how to be a well paid slave (employee) or a hard-working well paid slave (self-employed or professional).

There are lots of people who attend this site who are younger than you and have already started in RE. Matt is 25, and I was in my early 20’s when I bought my 1st rental property.

Read everything you can on this website. Buy a course or 2. Joe Kaiser has some very informative reasonably priced courses and I hear Bill Bronchicks courses are awesome too. Read the Richest Man in Babylon, Rich Dad Poor Dad, and the Cashflow Quadrant.

You can do it. You will find many people on this board who will be glad to help you and cheer you on to victory.