Real estate attorneys - Posted by Aaron in Fl

Posted by SusanL.–FL on May 24, 2000 at 13:12:09:

nt

Real estate attorneys - Posted by Aaron in Fl

Posted by Aaron in Fl on May 24, 2000 at 12:19:39:

I am in the process of looking for a real estate attorney. Looking through the yellow pages, I see hundreds of names. I would like to know what other investors look for and what is really important when choosing a real estate attorney. I know the rate charged is a major issue, but what are some other questions I can ask over the phone to effectively screen different attorneys? Thanks for the responses!

Aaron

Re: Real estate attorneys - Posted by Vic

Posted by Vic on May 24, 2000 at 20:14:56:

Aaron,
You might want to start with the attorneys that do the real estate closings. If they can’t help you, they should be able to direct you to someone that can.
Vic

Re: Real estate attorneys - Posted by chris

Posted by chris on May 24, 2000 at 12:59:17:

Ask other local investors for referrals of attorneys they have used. You may even want to check with the attorney your local real estate club or Apt Owners Association uses. One area to focus your questions on is the area you invest in. For instance if you do lease options ask questions to the attorney related to L/O. Many attorneys will provide a free initial session for you to get acquainted before you do actual business. One question to ask when doing any type of investing that deals with tenants is if the attorney handles evictions. Most areas also have an attorney referral service to provide you a listing of attorneys and their experience. The Yellow Pages are just a form of advertising. If the Atty can afford the ad he’s in the book. Kind of hard to judge quality with that.

-Good Luck,Chris

Forget the yellow pages… - Posted by Ben (NJ)

Posted by Ben (NJ) on May 24, 2000 at 12:26:10:

the best way to get an attorney is through word of mouth of satisfied clients, the second best is a referral from another attorney or the bar association.