Real Estate License and Investing - Posted by Karansley78

Posted by Casper on July 26, 2003 at 04:45:54:

Hi Alex:

I am happy to learn that you are doing what I plan on doing. That is I plan to get a brokers license (not a sales license, and yes i can qualify for a brokers license). Then with the license I want to buy and sell on my own for myself.

1. When a broker/ agent buys for his/her account, do you still get to be paid a commission, since you “represented” yourself in the transaction.

2. Assuming the seller has a broker, can you share the brokerage commission with sellers broker since you are “buyer’s broker” even though you are the buyer.

3. Besides listing on MLS, what other advantages do you find that there is to a RE licensee that invests in his own account ? What are the drawbacks in your own experience ?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Cas

Real Estate License and Investing - Posted by Karansley78

Posted by Karansley78 on July 18, 2003 at 10:44:05:

I am interested in investing in Real Estate. With little knowledge of RE and all that would be involved, I decided to take a RE course and work as an agent. I have completed and passed the course but upon preparing for my state test I have run across a couple articles that state that having a RE license can actually work against me becuase of RE agent disclosure laws and other laws and regulations affecting RE agents, that will prevent me from investing successfully.
I was wondering if I could probably work as an agent for a couple years, gain some knowledge on RE and then let my license expire before I start to invest. Will I still have to tell people that I was RE agent? Would it be a waste of time and money to be an agent first?

Re: Real Estate License and Investing - Posted by Alex F. (CA)

Posted by Alex F. (CA) on July 25, 2003 at 19:58:59:

I’m an investor & agent. Being an agent has worked out well for me. Others may disagree, but being an agent has many benefits. It has helped me sell my properties that I own. I just list them on the MLS. Just like you said, being an agent will help you learn about the business. And by the way, I only use my license for my own deals only…I actually dislike buying and selling for others.

Also, you may want to search the main board under the archives as this has been discussed thousands of times before.

Good luck,

Alex F. (CA)