Real estate license course - Posted by Novice

Posted by Green on February 04, 2002 at 10:14:39:

Utah Investor

I have a Question. Do you think its a bad idea for a person who wants to do creative real estate investing to get a license.

I am under the impression that licese has a 2 fold use-
1-Get hands on info/socialize in the circle realtors/easy access to rental and other properties
2-Get Educated and earn some commissions too. You also get to waive off comissions on your deals too.

or Have I lost my mind…are there any pitfalls that i am missing.

Any help would be appreciated. thanks

Real estate license course - Posted by Novice

Posted by Novice on February 04, 2002 at 24:52:24:

My state has a REAL ESTATE FUNDAMENTALS course that is required to be taken in order to attempt the salesperson’s examination, but I cannot figure out how to take the real estate fundementals course for the life of me. Does the state teach it? Do private organizations teach it? How do I find where I can take this? How much am I going to spend on the course alone (not including the license cost).

Re: Real estate license course - Posted by Dennis

Posted by Dennis on February 04, 2002 at 12:16:41:

Having a RE license is a very important tool for a RE investor. It cost peanuts (less than $75, including CE costs) to maintain and the access to the MLS is priceless. Also it allows you to make extra money by listing and selling properties while waiting to unload an investment property. Everyone that you meet is not going to “give” you their property. But, as a RE agent you can get the listing, then if something changes during the listing period it might become available as an investment, especially if you work the foreclosure mrk as I do. Bottom line, having a RE license has some important positives and zero negatives. Go for it!

Re: Real estate license course - Posted by GL(ON)

Posted by GL(ON) on February 04, 2002 at 11:29:19:

Call your local real estate board and ask where you go to take the RE license course. It is probably at a local community college. If you can’t find the RE board in the phone book, call up any real estate office, they will know it.

Then call the place where they hold the classes and get the details.

I recommend the RE license course even if you never get your license. It has a lot of usefull knowlege about surveys, contract law, offers, deeds, etc.etc. You will find it useful, it will put you on a more equal footing with the RE people you will be dealing with, and it will give you a lot of self confidence.

I also recommend everyone take a course in accounting or bookkeeping before entering on any business. Even if you mean to hire an accountant, you need to know wha it’s all about.

Re: Real estate license course - Posted by Utah Investor

Posted by Utah Investor on February 04, 2002 at 08:36:40:

Each Realty office can set you up with a class. The test is issued by the State. You must decide who you want to work for, then they’ll set you up in their class. Make sense?

Are you sure you want a license? Are you getting a License because you want to sell real estate? Or do you want to do Creative Real Estate? There is a big difference. Just be clear. Good investing.

You will just get more exposure through real estate license and of course commission.