Real estate license.....helpful??? - Posted by Bobby

Posted by Rob FL on July 02, 2003 at 15:44:02:

Check the archives. You are about the 10th person in the last month to ask this question, and about the zillionth in last few years. This question has been answered at length many many times.

Real estate license…helpful??? - Posted by Bobby

Posted by Bobby on July 02, 2003 at 10:33:44:

Good morning all. I am getting started flipping properties to build up a cash reserve. Would it be helpful to me to get a realtors license for access to the MLS? Most of the realtors that I know I wouldn’t trust to get back to me this year with searches. I just wondered if this would be a better option than searching for just that “special” person that will do searches for me with a decent response time.

Thanks everyone…

Re: Real estate license…helpful??? - Posted by BrokerScott (Mich)

Posted by BrokerScott (Mich) on July 02, 2003 at 15:54:43:

I’m not sure why you say that most Realtors you know wouldn’t get back to you in a year. Perhaps it’s the breadth of your searches? Or calling in instead of coming in? Yes, taking the preliminary pre-licensing course is beneficial for anyone who wishes to work in real estate. Whether you want to actually take the license is a wash, because to work in most offices, you need to get all the extras- board fees, stationary, business cards, etc. Maybe you could walk in and ask to see the MLS book and then ask for printouts of the ones that interest you? Fact is that most people that call in for searches either 1. don’t show up or 2. You never hear from them again. In other words- a waste of time for the Realtor. Additionally, there is nothing wrong with working with more than one agent/Realtor but not at the same time, & you should as a matter of courtesy, if for no other reason, try out writting a few offers with the person that helped you. Best, Scott