real estate license, necessary or drawback? - Posted by L(nyc)

Posted by Joe Tx on April 28, 2000 at 22:44:40:

NT

real estate license, necessary or drawback? - Posted by L(nyc)

Posted by L(nyc) on April 27, 2000 at 12:15:36:

Hey,

I have been trying to keep my self up to date on my studies and my networking, my next point of interest is whether or not getting my real estate license will be beneficial, I had read somewhere one time that it might be a drawback since some people dont want to deal with brokers.
If anyone here is a broker or has recently taken the test can you let me know, about its difficulty? after passing the test do you need to be sponsored by a realty company; such as within stock brokers. Also, once you pass the test can you just set yourself up with the MLS software in your home and still work as a REI but with the inside track. Doers becoming a realtor qualify you as a dealer, and does this then not shiled you with taxes as well as just being set up as , say a corporation. I know Im asking alot but given the opportunity I would appreciate the time to pick some peoples brains, thanks in advance.

Re: real estate license, necessary or drawback? - Posted by Jim IL

Posted by Jim IL on April 27, 2000 at 13:52:17:

L,
I am not a realtor (or agent or broker), not do I play one on TV.
But, from I have heard, the reason many REI’s do not get a license has to do with the disclosure laws etc. that govern them.
Frankly, I did think about getting my license once to gain MLS. I decided not to then because I had developed enough relationships with agents to get what I needed fairly quickly.
Now I am fortunate enough to have the MLS access myself. A gift from another friend who is a licensed.

Just my $.02,
Jim IL

What disclosure laws? Please clarify. NT - Posted by Joe Tx

Posted by Joe Tx on April 27, 2000 at 17:25:06:

NT

Re: What disclosure laws? Please clarify. NT - Posted by Leah(ME)

Posted by Leah(ME) on April 28, 2000 at 09:01:38:

disclosure law requires you to tell the seller that you have a realtors license.