Real Estate On The Road - Posted by Tara

Re: Both sides . . . - Posted by JoeKaiser

Posted by JoeKaiser on March 31, 1999 at 15:27:09:

Jim,

Good point, and believe me, I’ve made thousands of calls I suspect were very similar to the sort of calls you make.

But, there’s a real distinction to be made here. I ALWAYS talk to people who are responding to my marketing. I like to think the marketing has already done some of the prescreening for me and in most cases, the person on the other end of the phone is in fact someone I very much want to talk with. Like you, my calls are answered by voice mail and when I return the call, I’m fully prepared to do so.

However, when it comes to calling on ads, which I thought was the thread here (oops), I quickly get frustrated with how little gets accomplished in the amount of time it takes. Just the telephone tag alone, especially since you are working with voice mail, quickly becomes burdensome.

So, for ads anyway, I either ignore them entirely or I let someone else wade through them. My goal here is not to try to have my caller figure the thing out or put a deal together. They simply provide me with a fair but not perfect appraisal of the homeowner’s motivation to sell.

Frankly, I’d much rather pick up a list with a dozen names and numbers from people who’ve indicated to my screener that they’re eager to sell then to pick up that big Sunday paper and start circling ads.

Finally, it isn’t all rocket science here. I suspect if I just paid someone to call up every ad and simply say . . . “I’m looking for a house but I’m a little tight on funds right now. I saw your ad and since I figured it couldn’t hurt to check, I thought I’d call and ask . . . if I can pay all your closing costs and either take over payments or make monthly payments to you, would you be able to close in the next couple weeks?” or something like that, you’d likely end up with a handful of prospects I’d wager would fall into the “motivated” catagory.

Ditto for the houses for rent ads. “I’m looking for a place I can rent for at least a couple years and maybe even buy at some time in the future . . . would that work for you?”

I suspect it would work for me.

Joe

Hey Systems development dudes!! - Posted by Mark R in KCMO

Posted by Mark R in KCMO on March 31, 1999 at 11:13:20:

Karp,

It’s interesting to hear that some of your “prospects” go through 4 levels before they talk to you!! I’m glad that you said that! 'cause I’m generally the 2-3rd person that they talk to, I didn’t know if I should or more importantly could be further up the food chain.

Even though they talk to me at that point they still have to be contacted by others, that directly report to me, but I am from that point on, am thier central contact.

Basicly I was “gone” for the month of March, so when I returned I had tons of things to follow up on, there were a few that fell by the wayside before I could get to them but on the other hand the ones that I got to were more motivated then they would have been if I would have gotten to them when the first contact was made.

Also, I know that you know this Karp, & Joe, but for the others reading this thread there is a difference between an answering service, and an in-bound telemarketing service.

The telemarketing service it used to filling in forms and following scripts, and to a small degree, they are required to “up-sell” on the other projects that they work on so they have some fairly decent “personality skills”.

They cost more, than a straight answering service, but I think are worth it.

I’m still in the system development phase, and look forward to seeing what can be done.

As Kiyosaki illustrates, why buy buckets to haul water when you can design a pipeline.

Mark R in KCMO

Sometimes I just wanna bronze you. - Posted by karp

Posted by karp on March 31, 1999 at 11:45:01:

Jimbo,

I know you are way past all that stuff. I was just playin’.
I think there is wisdom in keeping it simple…just not for me.
I wanna make a ton of money and buy you a hoodoo to sit on and dispense wisdom to those who would make the journey…

karp