real estate sales agent - Posted by Larysa Olejnik

Posted by scott sc on May 01, 2000 at 11:50:21:

It depends on who you know and how much you work. It also depends on what you are making at your present job. It you make $40,000 a year don’t expect to make that much your 1st couple of years as an agent.

But, I’ll tell you this, if you know a lot about the investment side of real estate you could find yourself a niche. My wife is a Realtor and she knows a lot about investing and presents herself that way. She has several investors that keep bread on the table for her. Not many other agents in her office have investor type knowledge.

real estate sales agent - Posted by Larysa Olejnik

Posted by Larysa Olejnik on May 01, 2000 at 11:41:25:

Hello, I am interested in becoming a real estate sales agent. Can someone tell me what I should expect, and how much I could possibly earn? I am interested in becoming a real estate sales agent because I want access to the MSN listings, and gain more experience for my real estate investing future. Thank you.

A much different opinion from those above. - Posted by Vic

Posted by Vic on May 02, 2000 at 24:16:56:

Larysa,
I would highly reccommend going to get your license. I’ve got my broker’s license in 2 states & can tell you that that broker’s license has enabled me to do far far more than if I hadn’t had it at all.

By going to school, you’ll become familiar with all of the terminology used in this business, and learn how things are generally done, plus you’ll learn many of the laws. Then once you get your license you should get out there and do a deal or two, with regular clients just to build up your confidence. Do not make the mistake of thinking that you will get rich quickly though working as an agent. I think the avg. first year earnings of a new real estate agent is something like $12,000/yr. But do not let this stop you. Read on!

For those (and there are many) who claim that people don’t want to deal with an agent or are afraid to, I say that is nothing but a bunch of bs! I’ve yet to ever sense any apprehension on the part of anyone I ever dealt with in any capacity because I was licensed & I’ve been doing it for 6 years with well over 100 transactions, under my belt. I think the many people who use that train of thought use it as an excuse because they don’t want to take the time or make the committment to go get their license. People will rationalize all kinds of things & make all kinds of excuses to get out of something that involves hard work.

Now don’t get me wrong, there are people who do not want to deal with a salesperson, but it has nothing to do with the fact that you are licensed. There’s a big difference between the two. It’s the fact that you are a salesperson & not the fact that you are licensed that some people will object to.

You’ll find that there are people in all industries, that would rather do it themselves than use a professional. If these people would rather do it all themselves, that’s fine. You don’t want to do business with these people as an agent anyway. People will always do their own auto repairs, build their own decks, etc. As an agent, you want the people who want help & there are many more who want your help than don’t.

Isn’t it funny how so many people tell you not to get your license, yet the first thing they tell you when you want to start looking for properties is to call an agent. Isn’t that a bit hypocritcal?

I can tell you for a fact that having your license will open more doors for you than not having it. Period! So go get it & don’t let the naysayers stop you from something that is sure to open many many doors for you in the future.

Imagine, being able to pull up listings at will. Comparing the sold properties with a few clicks of the mouse. Being the first to know about new properties before all "un"licensees ever find out about them. Having agents respect you more because you’re like one of them. Having clients/customers know that they can’t bs you, & on & on. I think you get the picture.

Good Luck! Hope you get your name in the NAR one day soon!

Vic

There are many successful agents earning $200-$300K/yr. These are people that know how to market, & have spent time going to seminars & ordering courses to learn how to properly market.

Re: real estate sales agent - Posted by Kim P.

Posted by Kim P. on May 01, 2000 at 18:56:14:

My husband is an agent. He had a hard time at first trying to think creatively. He makes a decent living but when I showed him what we could do as investors, (this is where I praise this site!) he is now open to a whole different way of thinking. There are so many deals that can be done without using the MLS. Not everyone is thrilled to be dealing with an agent/broker. Good luck with your choice.

Kim

It depends on what your “true goals” are - Posted by JohnG

Posted by JohnG on May 01, 2000 at 16:55:43:

Becoming a realtor will no more help your real estate investing career than hanging out in a hospital will make you a doctor. In fact, in my humble opinion, it will seriously impair your creativity down the road.

I am always shocked when I go to my kids school for assembly and the way they are all treated like sheep and how they are expected to follow blindly one behind the other. I wonder how I’m going to keep my kids from just following the crowd when thats all they are taught to do all day long.

If you want to learn how to list properties; how to write up offers with 25% cash down and no vendor financing and how to make a very meagre living after expenses then you would be wise to follow that course of action.

I am amazed at some of the realtors that I meet who are intelligent, aggressive, hard working people but who are genetically incapable of putting together a creative deal. They are more interested in making a small one time commission than in producing real wealth. It is a condition that afflicts many - both inside and outside of this business.

They talk the talk but they don’t walk the walk. It is like they don’t want to play the game - they just want to be the referree on the sidelines. They get to experience the thrill and the excitement of the game but they never get to take home the trophy.

Please excuse my rambling on this, but I am always amazed that guys will bring me deal after deal that I make 5-10 times on the deal than their commission - I am always waiting for them to say “AHA” one of these days and just keep the deal for themselves.

I know I would !!!

Re: real estate sales agent - Posted by Jim IL

Posted by Jim IL on May 01, 2000 at 12:39:05:

Larysa,
Just out of curiosity, is the access to the MLS (I assume thats what you meant by MSN listings?), the only or main reason you are going to try to be an agent?
If so, what else are the benefits of being an agent for you?
Take a long hard look at this before you make the leap to become an agent.
You can get MLS access other ways, like barrowing Access from someone who already has it, or developing a good relationship with an agent who has it.
Frankly, for me, becoming an agent was a waste of time, and hassle, that is why I choose not to be one.

Take a look at the agents in your area, and then ask yourself this;
“Do any of them make the kind of money or have the type of knowledge that I will want/need to do deals in REI?”

Chances are, they are not who you want to immulate. (sp?)

Anyway, just some things to think about.
HTH,
Jim IL