real estate turnover info - Posted by eric

Posted by Ronald * Starr(in no CA) on January 26, 2002 at 14:33:46:

Eric------------

Good. I assume you will have a termite inspection. Get the most thorough inspector you can get. Real estate agents are often involved in selecting agents and they will know who has a reputation for thoroughness and who is shoddy.

After you get the estimate, you can figure to save about 40% by hiring a good licenced contractor, 60% by hiring a good handiperson, or even more by doing it yourself, if the work can be done by an amateur. Some work is more difficult than other. For some work I would do it myself. For some, I’d only hire a pro.

I hope that “sell below market value” is more than 20%.

Good Investing and Good Under-House CrawlingRon Starr

real estate turnover info - Posted by eric

Posted by eric on January 23, 2002 at 14:01:31:

i am new at this game. currently i live in shreveport, la. but i found some great deals in nearby marshall, tx. how do i find out more about the realestate market there? can i trust a realestate agent or a seller to tell me the truth? i have heard varying things. some say the market is fairly stagnant, others say its as good as shreveport. the population doesnt seem to grow much, but that could just mean that it get as many as leave.
any advice is good advice. if anyone can tell me how to find hard facts about the realestate turnover please let me know.

Re: real estate turnover info - Posted by Ronald * Starr(in No CA)

Posted by Ronald * Starr(in No CA) on January 24, 2002 at 16:59:55:

Eric-----------

What sort of investment strategy are you planning to operate that you would need this sort of information? Most investment programs don’t require knowing it.

If you want to find out more about the market there, ask for MLS statistics from the MLS itself, or from some agents. Talk to about 10-15 agents and you should hear several different descriptions of how the market is doing. But you will probably begin to see a consensus.

You might also check with the editor of the business page of the local newspaper to see if s/he has any statistics on the local real estate market.

Good Investing************Ron Starr

Re: real estate turnover info - Posted by eric

Posted by eric on January 25, 2002 at 13:03:58:

we are looking for a rehab to live in while we fix it up. but its not worth it if i have to sell it for what i put into it just to unload it. i have heard varying things from people in the area. and from what alot of them are saying that is prolly what i will have to do. we want to start with rehabs and possibly tax liens, but to start we want a house of our own to live in
while i am in school.

Re: real estate turnover info - Posted by Ronald * Starr(in no CA)

Posted by Ronald * Starr(in no CA) on January 25, 2002 at 21:28:54:

Eric----------

Ok, I see more of where you are coming from.

Not everybody is comfortable living in a property which is in a constant state of disarray and repair. I suggest you be careful and try to really choose wisely if you will or will not be comfortable with this. My cousin and her husband lived that way when they were young, fixing the house up all the time. But not everybody likes it.

If you are planning to live in a house for less than about 5 years, it is usually not a good idea to buy it. It is better to rent. The transaction costs–closing costs–make it economically a poor choice to own for a short period of time–usually. Now, there are exceptions: if the real estate market is extremely hot and appreciating, or if one can force appreciation into a property, such as by fixing it up.

The typical young couple, in buying a fixer-upper home for themselves overpay and thus they do not make much profit, especially give the large amount of work they put into the project. Maybe this typical experience is what your advisors are talking about.

To make money with a rehab project, you have to buy drastically low of market value. Usually this means not buying properties spotlighted on the MLS. Usually finding a good deal involves getting out and beating the bushes in the dark corners of the market ignored by the real estate professionals. This takes time and it takes knowledge. Acquiring the knowledge to do this successfully takes time. So, one does pay something for the bargain one buys. If you are good at finding bargains and negotiating purchases, you might be successful at it.

Please realize that in most locales fewer than 1% of the properties in the retail marketplace–the MLS–are great deals. Real estate agents will tout properties as fine buys because they are at 5% or 10% below the typical selling price of similar properties. Is is usually foolish to pay such high prices when you are looking for a good deal. Only buy if you can get a property for at least 20% below market value. It is difficult to do. And this is after taking away from the retail price the cost of fixing the property up to retail market condition. This is what most young people miss–they do not deduct enough for the repair costs. Just spend an hour or two pricing materials at a place like Lowe’s or Home Depot: boards, hardware, plumbing parts, windows, doors, etc. Even some larger bolts can cost more than a dollar each. Go into this with your eyes wide open.

If you have fix-up experience that will stand you in good stead. If not, expect to learn a lot and find yourself struggling to make a nice house and a profit at the same time. You will be reading a lot of books on fixing things. You won’t have much time to watch TV except maybe for “This Old House” and “Hometime.”

Good Investing and Good House-huntingRon Starr*****

Re: real estate turnover info - Posted by eric

Posted by eric on January 26, 2002 at 10:15:20:

thanx for the advice. the main house we are looking at is well below fair market value. the only major problem is termite damage. if it as extensive as the neighbor thinks it is, it could become very costly.