Realtor sign once house is under contract??? - Posted by Kristen Guzman

Posted by Bassman on February 08, 2001 at 13:44:24:

Funny Rick, but the listing agreement i have in front of me says " 11.Brokers authority; B.)to place a For sale sign on the property; c) remove from the property all other signs offering the property for sale or lease."

I guess I missed where it says that the owner has the right to remove my sign based on a contract and not a closing. Maybe you can clarify where it says that so I can know that in the future?

Scott

Realtor sign once house is under contract??? - Posted by Kristen Guzman

Posted by Kristen Guzman on February 08, 2001 at 09:39:32:

I have a question, I have a house under contract that I would like to flip to another investor or retail buyer. The realtor sign is still up and I don’t want anyone to know what they were asking for the house, as it will make my deal harder.

How do I go about hvaing it taken down without taking it down myself?? My husband went last night and felt it was to hard because every one will see him there at 3:30 a.m.

Re: Realtor sign once house is under contract??? - Posted by Rob FL

Posted by Rob FL on February 09, 2001 at 20:10:05:

I always make sure that when I am flipping listed property that my flip price is under the listing price. Of course to do this, you must get it under contract for a reasonable amount below what they are asking. By doing it that way the investors know that my price is better than that of the listing agent. Otherwise I think you are asking for trouble.

Re: Realtor sign once house is under contract??? - Posted by Jeremy FL

Posted by Jeremy FL on February 08, 2001 at 16:10:34:

Most investors have access to the mls anyways.

I once asked Ron Legrand… - Posted by eric-fl

Posted by eric-fl on February 08, 2001 at 13:35:46:

…the same question directly, back when he was doing his OWN telementoring. His response to me was “it needs to go away.”

FWIW

Re: Realtor sign once house is under contract??? - Posted by Rick

Posted by Rick on February 08, 2001 at 11:27:25:

It is up to the owner, not the Realtor. Ask the owner’s permission, and if granted, then take it down.

Re: Realtor sign once house is under contract??? - Posted by Nate

Posted by Nate on February 08, 2001 at 11:11:32:

Actually, if the house in the MLS, the agent probably is obligated to leave the sign up until it’s sold. While it would be nice for you if you could get the sign down, if the agent refuses or puts up a big stink I can’t say I would blame him/her.

NT

Posted by Nate on February 08, 2001 at 11:10:18:

Who is “everyone” that is out and awake at 3:30 AM? :slight_smile:

Why not just go do it in broad daylight if you’re concerned about looking suspicious? The only pitfall I can see is that the realtor may be contractually obligated to the seller to keep the sign up until the house is actually SOLD (not just under contract…but sold) and you might make some waves by taking the sign down.

Posted by Nate on February 08, 2001 at 14:36:28:

I disagree. If the owner has signed a listing agreement with a real estate agent, the agent has a fiduciary duty to the seller to get the highest price possible.

Just because the house is under contract, that duty does not go away. It does not go away until a sale is made. If the sign is removed, regardless of what the owner wants, the owner could then have grounds to sue the agent for breach of fiduciary duty. The agent doesn’t want this to occur and would be well within their rights to insist that it remain up.

Having said that – have you even ASKED the agent and/or owner how they feel about your removing the sign? Don’t assume the worst…

NT
(not an agent)