Reference Books: worth used mobile, # stars parks - Posted by Doug

Posted by Ed Ortiz on January 15, 2001 at 16:56:34:

Hi John,
You can find it right here on creonline.

http://www.creonline.com/b-138.html

Good luck,
Ed Ortiz

Reference Books: worth used mobile, # stars parks - Posted by Doug

Posted by Doug on January 15, 2001 at 01:37:35:

Hi,
Where can I get reference Books:

[ ] The exact worth of all used mobile homes
[ ] Number of stars/rating for all mobile home parks

Also,
[ ] If you could choose one book to begin the mobile
home paper and buying of the homes what would it be?

Thanks,

Doug

Re: Star system - Posted by ray@lcorn

Posted by ray@lcorn on January 15, 2001 at 10:48:17:

Doug,

The star system for mobile home parks was discontinued in the early seventies. However the reference to how many stars a park should have still persists today. Unfortunately, few really know the criteria, and as a result the term has lost its relevance.

For over twenty years, Woodall Publishing Company in Chicago IL compiled an annual directory of mobile home parks, and a separate directory for RV parks. I believe the RV/Campground guide is still published, along with several variations for east and west, and a buyer’s guide for RV’s. They stopped publishing the mobile home park directory because of the growing “immobility” of mobile homes, eliminating the need for a nationwide directory, and the economics of the thing became prohibitive. The expense must have been considerable. In 1970, the teams from Woodall visited 24,000 mobile home parks. 13,000 of them got at least one star.

If you’re really interested, I have a copy of the rating system detailing the criteria for ranking from one to five stars. Makes for interesting reading. I wonder if the industry could now use the system for lenders and investors, rather than the consumer.

ray

Re: worth used mobile, # stars parks - Posted by JD

Posted by JD on January 15, 2001 at 09:44:11:

Doug,
If you are looking for a beginning point in the MH business i.e., buying and selling older used MH’s and carrying back the notes and perhaps selling those notes to other investors, then I would recommend Lonnie Scrugg’s two books, “Deals On Wheels” and “Making Money On Mobile Homes”. If you have some experience and money and feel you are ready for your PhD in MH notes and portfolios, then “Tin Can Alley” is ready for you. Lonnie will get you started and well on your way with very little investment in courseware.

Wishing you good hunting and the best of deals.

JD

Re: Reference Books: - Posted by JohnE

Posted by JohnE on January 15, 2001 at 04:27:14:

Doug

The answer to your 1st question is at www.nadaguides.com You want the “Manufactured Housing Appraisal Guide”

The 2nd question is “Tin Can Alley” 400 pages of information about mobile home paper.

Hope this helps
JohnE

Re: Reference Books: - Posted by JonH

Posted by JonH on January 15, 2001 at 16:25:41:

Where do you find the book “Tin Can Alley”, I couldn’t find it in the “books and courses section” of this site or at Amazon.com?