Rehab Ads-need help - Posted by Phil

Posted by js-Indianapolis on August 19, 2003 at 20:40:41:

Why pass on that much $$? Well, for starters, if there’s that much profit, there’s that much more room for big issues. I’m working with one right now, the seller knows someone is going to make $75K off it (his figure). Guess what? I’ll get what I can, and let someone else take the rest.

I’m not about to spend 6 months in this pile of sticks they once called a house to see if my first rehab will be a success. The roof is caving in, and it has been vacant for 8 years. Can you say mold? Everything needs to be replaced, and mold needs to be neutralized and sealed. I’ve got the contractors to do it too. DO I want to spend my days on the phone with a contractor, and asking him why he’s not done with something, as there are other contractors in line waiting to start something else? Then call other contractors and tell them to wait. Then have them tell me I get to be put in the back of their 3 week backup again. Every work with contractors? How about the warranty on that mold removal? Not transferable to knew owners. In fact, many warranties on things aren’t transferable as they are LIFETIME (non-transferable). What happens if the place burns tot the ground the night after you do the finishing work? 6 months work burnt to the ground? Can’t happen? I sold a house to a guy who had it happen. His idea was not to get his investment plus $0, after 6 months of rehabbing.

OK, I’m spent.

There are plenty of reasons to get paid now, as opposed to hang around for another 6 months to see what might be. You wouldn’t be the first person to think you were going to make $60K, and end up upside down. Termites? Unknown structural problems? Unknown city code violations? I’m in no position to pay for something I or the inspector overlooked, or contractors mistakes and time delays. Nor do I have any tolerance for my own incompetence. Different strokes for different folks. Some are willing to work it til the end, and squeeze every last dime in 6 months. Others are willing to take 10K now, and do one a month like that, for 6 months. Same $60K.

OH, sorry, I don?t really think you?re nuts. Just choose to do what you do though, and see that doing it another way isn?t wrong, it?s just another way.

Rehab Ads-need help - Posted by Phil

Posted by Phil on August 18, 2003 at 22:20:17:

Looking for some insight for successfull newspaper ads for a rehab.-I’ve got a slammin deal that is a potential 60-80K profit for a rehabber and want to know what people are doing to advertise such a deal besides-Handyman special,cheap, cash. While I don’t dispute the effectivness of an ad like this-i would like to let people know how much $$$ is in this one. Thanks for input-you guys are great!!!

Re: Rehab Ads-need help - Posted by Scott M_AZ

Posted by Scott M_AZ on August 19, 2003 at 14:47:27:

I use this:

Fixer. North Central.275K Comps.
Only 175K. Appx 25K Reparis.
Phil 555-1212

Re: Rehab Ads-need help - Posted by beck4353

Posted by beck4353 on August 19, 2003 at 08:32:06:

I would think that if you really had a deal that has 60-80k profit, you would do it yourself. even if you hired a GC and did absolutely nothing yourself, why would you ever pass a deal like this on?

Re: Rehab Ads-need help - Posted by Rick G

Posted by Rick G on August 18, 2003 at 22:47:01:

I would think with a deal like that you should go to the next meeting of your local Real Estate Investors group and rub elbows to find rehabbers.

Or, get your birddogs to keep an eye out for houses that are currently being rehabed and get names and numbers for you.

Rick G.

Re: Rehab Ads-need help - Posted by js-Indianapolis

Posted by js-Indianapolis on August 19, 2003 at 21:00:15:

I wouldn’t think you’d get a good response at all, directing people to call Phil at directory assistance, when you are Scott in AZ?!
/dumbguy off

I’m kidding. I was wondering if you could expound a little on your results. How many calls are you seeing on ads like that, how many are serious, and how many just got Sheets program that week? The reason I ask is I’m going to be running an ad like that soon. I was hesitant about putting in “ARV”. I like “comps”. Anything else you’ve tested that DOESN’T work?

Massive pile of crap SFH,
but nice area, and big
profit potential. Don’t
bother if you’re a joker
without cash. 555-1212

It’s so what I want to say, but I’ve been told I might have a problem with tactfulness.

Posted by Rick G on August 19, 2003 at 14:33:01:

Beck,

I would tend to agree with you. With that kind of profit I would definitely look at every way possible to keep the deal for myself.

Rick G.

Posted by Rick G on August 19, 2003 at 14:32:13:

Beck,

I would tend to agree with you. With that kind of profit I would definitely look at every way possible to keep the deal for myself.

Rick G.