Rehab done; how to get some buzz? - Posted by Mark the Rookie

Posted by ski on May 15, 2006 at 19:30:11:

If you have a realtor list it make sure you can sell w/o their commission. Also as some incentive thell the agent that they will get x commission if sold within 14 days and decrease that commission every 2 weeks. They will work harder to get it sold promptly.

Rehab done; how to get some buzz? - Posted by Mark the Rookie

Posted by Mark the Rookie on May 15, 2006 at 10:55:34:

Inherited an all brick 3/2 in an older, established, desirable neighborhood; ARV ~180K; Put ~30K in rehab;

Those who come to see it don’t show much interest when they see the house and price. We didn’t pull the price out of the old wazoo, it’s based upon recent sales.

So far, only have a sign in the yard, not in MLS or even in the paper.

I think we need to put it in the paper and maybe offer a home warranty. What other things could we do to sweeten the offer and get some exposure. Comments appreciated.

Re: Rehab done; how to get some buzz? - Posted by Frank Chin

Posted by Frank Chin on May 16, 2006 at 07:53:09:

Mark:

Think about it. Who are the people seeing the sign on the front yard, and coming by to see it?? It’s people living on the vicninity. Unless it sits on a busy road, not many other types of lookers.

You have to know what folks think when they take a look. Usually, folks from the neighborhood falls into these categories:

• Nosy types, and they just wanted to see what the place looks like, and how much houses go for nowadays. That’s why they don’t say much.

• Neighbors living there a long time, bought their place years ago, looking for a place for a relattive, and in sticker shock at the new prices.

I find Craigslist increasing useful in urban areas. But traditionally, I find newpapers a good place to start the ball rolling from the standpoint of market analysis. By this I mean you’ll get calls, find out from people what they’re looking for. You’ll also find RE agents calling to come take a look even if you say “principals only”, or “no agents”.

Fmailies moving in generally ask about school districts etc, so its a good idea to be able to answer this one. In some areas, this greatly determines the value of the property.

Market the property actively, but I wouldn’t do a warranty. When the house is sold, take the money and run.

In many areas, folks go mostly to RE agents searching for properties, and you’ll move it a lot quicker with an agent.

Frank Chin

Archive Search Words? - Posted by Mark the Rookie

Posted by Mark the Rookie on May 15, 2006 at 20:45:47:

Thanks to all who responded with some good ideas. I did try to search the archives. Using a search term like “marketing” brought up posts related to finding motivated sellers. Can you help me think of a search term that will help me narrow the posts to the kind of marketing I’m looking for? Again, Thanks.

Re: Rehab done; how to get some buzz? - Posted by Eric (MI)

Posted by Eric (MI) on May 15, 2006 at 18:21:10:

Some things that come to mind right off hand if you are doing it yourself:

Craigslist as mentioned in a previous post
Sign in the yard and around the neighborhood pointing to your house.
Other websites such as ForSaleByOwner.com.
Classified ads in your local paper.
Talking to neighbors and offering a referral fee of like $500 if they know someone who is in the market for a new house and they buy yours.
Ads on local bullitian boards such as at grocery stores and the like.

Be creative (or just search the archives) and there are and unlimited number of things you can do to market it yourself.

If you can get an agent to list it but leaving you with the ability to market it yourself as well than that is even better in my opinion since than you have all possible angles touched.

Re: Rehab done; how to get some buzz? - Posted by Rachael PA

Posted by Rachael PA on May 15, 2006 at 12:54:17:

Have you looked into craigslist.com???