Rehab ? inspector , contractor or both? - Posted by Maria (FL)

Posted by Maria (FL) on July 25, 2003 at 21:18:18:

Hi!I do realize that although my post may indictate I was counting on that. The area is starting to go up. There is other fixers on the market for $19,000 and up. Fixed they range from 26,000-45,000 depending on size.Hard to pin it down not alot on the market. But much to my disappointment my husband has decided to pass on it. I was really looking forward to the rewards of fixing it up.I will keep looking. :slight_smile: Maria

Rehab ? inspector , contractor or both? - Posted by Maria (FL)

Posted by Maria (FL) on July 24, 2003 at 07:57:01:

Hello. I am looking at a 1940 cottage style home in hernando county. It is wood with the old tin roof up off the ground. It seems solid but does have a sagging floor in one bedroom.Whole neighborhood is this style home. I have no experience with old homes so my question is should I have a contractor look at it to find any flaws and ests or should I hire a home inspector so I dont miss anything. It is in a great rental area and I can get it for 13,000. It sold for 35,000 in 1998 so I believe there is potential.Seems other then the floor only dirty and cosmetic. Any special things I should be looking for?? Thanks so much! :slight_smile:

Re: Rehab ? inspector , contractor or both? - Posted by IB (NJ)

Posted by IB (NJ) on July 24, 2003 at 22:34:15:

Hi Maria. I just wanted to comment on a statement you made:

β€œIt is in a great rental area and I can get it for 13,000. It sold for 35,000 in 1998 so I believe there is potential.”

You do know that the price it sold for 5 years ago often has very little to do with market value? What do the other homes in the area sell for today?

Re: Rehab ? inspector , contractor or both? - Posted by Randy

Posted by Randy on July 24, 2003 at 12:26:53:

A contractor can give you a repair estimate and point out possible solutions. A home inspector does not give repair estimates, but can look for other things like is the wiring up to code and so forth. You should know that in many areas getting a building permit (required to perform any structural repairs) can require updating electrical, plumbing etc? to current building codes.