Rehab - Nosehole Mayor - Posted by Rich

Posted by chromie on January 24, 2000 at 16:32:02:

A brothel, huh? Good idea, but remember, the customer always comes first…

Rehab - Nosehole Mayor - Posted by Rich

Posted by Rich on January 24, 2000 at 14:22:24:

I recently purchased a commercial property in my home town and started doing some minor renovations in order to separate a couple of areas within the 17000 sq. ft. building to put in a separate heat system, so I wouldn’t have to fire up the huge furnace that heats the entire building. Right after I purchased the property, I put craft paper over the windows so nosey people wouldn’t be dropping in to see what I was doing and occupying mine and my employees’ time. I have been stopped a couple of times while entering the building by people who live in an apartment building just up the street. They are curious as to my intentions. As a joke, I told them I was opening up a topless bar. About a week later, an employee from the city knocks on the door wanting to check the water meter. I don’t even have a water meter connected yet. He asked me what I was planning on doing with the building and I told him the same as the others, a topless bar. About a week ago I get a letter from the housing inspector telling me that I needed to get a zoning permit, and that I was ‘obviously violating several city, county, and state laws’. I was going to ask them for specifics, but just decided to ignore them. Today, I get a visit from another city inspector with a letter telling me if I didn’t submit my plans by this Friday, they were going to make me stop ‘whatever I’m doing’. I told him that I’d be finished by Friday, so ‘bring it on’. I decided to talk to my attorney, who until about 3 years ago was the city attorney, and he said they can’t do anything to make me stop working inside my own property. Moreover, I don’t need a permit to work inside my own property. Stay tuned, I’ll let you know what happens Friday.

• Rich

Don’t make waves - Posted by Paul_NY

Posted by Paul_NY on January 24, 2000 at 23:53:05:

I empathize with your perspective.

People are curious and concerned about what’s happenin’ in the 'hood. You’re going to be looked upon as a major community participant by the people. Gotta be in ka-hooch.

My $.02
Paul_NY

Kind of like seeing a radar trap and speeding up, don’t ya think? - Posted by Jim IL

Posted by Jim IL on January 24, 2000 at 22:18:34:

Rich,
No offense intended here , but don’t you think by telling them that you were opening a topless bar you invited trouble?
I personally do not have a problem with them, but many people do. (Heck I used to be head of security in one myself.)
But, where is the property?
If it is in the city limits, there may be rules about bars, and whatnot, no matter the type.
Also, commercial properties have many more rules to follow when it comes to city/county/state ordinances.
They may have a set “use” for parcels within a certain area.
I’m sure they got calls from your “friendly” neighbors about the topless bar, and that is what aroused there suspicions. (no pun intended! Õ¿Õ)
But, since it is a commercial (it is isn’t it?) building, the city can and will take an interest in its use.
I know in my area, any work, inside or out, must have permits and inspections performed by the city. (unless you are merely replacing something that already exisits, like a furnace or water heater.)
And, you did say that you are "Adding’ some heating units, right?, Not replacing the old one?

Here is an example why;
In my town about 5 years ago, a local tavern owner closed down for a month to “Remodel”.
When he re-opened, the place looked no different.
He had hired some lacky to do some electrical work and provide more power outlets to the band stand.
3 weeks after re-opening, the place burned to the ground.
This was caused by shotty, non code compliant electric work. (Hey Jethro, hand me that there scotch tape so’s I can splice these here wires.)
And, guess what?
The insurance company and the owner went the rounds about the claim.
Not sure how it turned out in the end with that? (was not in the paper, like everything else about the place was.)
But, after the place was fixed from the fire, and the owner tried to re-open, he had his liquor license yanked by the city, as his punishment for not complying with the city codes.
I’m sure he still kicks himself for all that trouble that could have been avoided.
All it would have taken was a set of plans for the work to be done and a $30 building permit.
The inspectors no doubt would have noticed the shotty electric work, and saved the owner money in the long run.

Sorry to ramble, but this got me thinking.

If I were you, I’d go talk to the city and find out EXACTLY what they need from you if anything, and ask to see the ordinances that say so.
Only a few minutes in the city hall, and it can save you time and money down the road.

Good luck,
Jim IL

P.S. Here is the disclaimer. I am not, nor have I ever been an expert, or even a participant in any commercial deals. I was however on the local plan commission a few years ago, and that is what nakes me think this way about notifying the city.

Re: Rehab - Nosehole Mayor - Posted by steve

Posted by steve on January 24, 2000 at 15:12:29:

I believe they’re now called “Gentlemen’s Clubs”…or “juice bars”…

The next time you get hassled, tell 'em that you decided against a topless bar, because it seems like too many people are getting way too excited about it. Now you’re going to open a brothel.

Re: Rehab - Nosehole Mayor - Posted by Chromie

Posted by Chromie on January 24, 2000 at 15:04:43:

I’ve always said it takes a sense of humor to get through the day. Makes it more interesting, doesn’t it? Sounds like the kind of thing I’d do, as well. Making money while having fun: what a concept!

Re: Rehab - Nosehole Mayor - Posted by Glenn OH

Posted by Glenn OH on January 24, 2000 at 14:55:03:

Did you ever hear that you don’t spit into the wind?