Rehab question - Posted by Mike (NY)

Posted by JoeS on February 06, 2002 at 18:47:35:

I am in upstate NY, and have had to replace several old firnaces. I now put in gas, forced air. In our area the oil tank can remain, check with you local codes officer…ask him/her a general not a specific question. Hope this helps.

Rehab question - Posted by Mike (NY)

Posted by Mike (NY) on February 06, 2002 at 18:23:57:

I looked at a house today that I walked away from a year ago. House needed a ton of work and the owner was asking way to much. The house went through a foreclosure and is now banked owned. The bank has already done much of the cleanup, but some major repairs are needed.

The house was using oil heat, but the entire system has been ripped out. I’ve done a few rehabs but never had to replace the heating system. I have two quick questions:

1. What do you pros use when installing a new system (best bang for the buck)?

2. I want to convert to gas, do I need to dig out the old oil tank?

House is located in a northern suburb of NYC, if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Rehab question - Posted by jim

Posted by jim on February 07, 2002 at 13:24:11:

I am in Maryland and have done a few rehab conversions from oil to gas forced air. In addition, I install central air. I always remove the old oil tank. It is an eyesore and certainly would not make the tenants or new homeowners happy to leave it there.