REHAB/TAXES - Posted by PETE

Posted by The Baze on June 04, 2000 at 11:28:08:

Pete,

First off, turn off the all caps, and use some punctuation. Makes it easy to read. OK then, since you purchased these houses w/ the intention of rehabbing and flipping them, they are not subject to capital gains treatment. The profit will be taxed at your ordinary income rate. As far as the costs you paid to the handymen off the books, that’s your call. They’re deductible, but if you were to get audited, how would you prove you paid them? No receipts, no cancelled checks, makes it tough. As has been discussed before, a corp is the better entity for doing flips. See the thread further down the board which discusses that exact issue.

Tom Bazley

REHAB/TAXES - Posted by PETE

Posted by PETE on June 04, 2000 at 09:50:20:

IM NEW TO PROCESS I HAVE PURCHASED 3 HOMES FOR CASH FOR REHAB AND HAVE SOLD THEM THROUGH MY WIFE WHO IS A REAL ESTATE AGENT I HAVE APERSON THAT DOES MY TAXES BUT SHE IS NOT TO CLEAR ON TAX STRATEGY
MY PROBLEM IS I DO ALL THE WORK ON REHAB MYSELF WITH DAD AND A FEW HANDY MEN WHO ARE PAID CASH OFF THE BOOKS MY ONLY TAX WRITE OFFS ARE ON RECEIPS FOR APPLIANCES AND MATERIALS USED IN FIXING U HOMES ANY IDEAS OR STRATEGIES TO AVOID TAX ON CAPITAL GAINS LLC OR S CORP WHICH IS BETTER FOR REHABS THANKS