Rehab windows - Posted by Mark (WV)

Posted by Nate on February 27, 2001 at 21:29:11:

I think to some extent it would depend on the climate. If you are in an extremely warm or extremely cold area where good energy efficiency is important, the better windows might be worth something. In terms strictly of appearances, I wouldn’t do anything to windows that is not REQUIRED in order to make the property look as good as it needs to look for the target market.

Rehab windows - Posted by Mark (WV)

Posted by Mark (WV) on February 27, 2001 at 18:50:45:

How about it ? Is it worth the money to install new windows in a rehab when the old ones are good just outdated ? I’m working on one that is just that,I just can’t decide if it will add enough to warrant the cost.Thought I would see what someone else thought about it.

I think not at about 2 grand to do it.

Thanks for thinking it over and replying
Mark

Re: Rehab windows - Posted by JPiper

Posted by JPiper on February 28, 2001 at 01:38:30:

The final price of my rehabs is typically around $50K. I generally don’t replace windows unless they are non-functional. I think at the $50K level you’re going to have alot of things competing for your rehab $$. In my case I generally pick the more obvious things like furnace, roof, plumbing, electrical. Windows I leave. Frankly, had I replaced windows I don’t think it would have helped my price either. Then the other problem is that I have typically have enough windows in a house that the cost would be fairly high. The other side of it is that in older houses the heating costs have become an issue. Things like windows and siding may become VERY important features…something to keep an eye on.

JPiper

thx great input (NT) - Posted by Mark (WV)

Posted by Mark (WV) on February 27, 2001 at 22:14:59:

NT

Re: Rehab windows - Posted by Brent_IL

Posted by Brent_IL on February 27, 2001 at 21:54:45:

About 20 years ago a woman named Mary Weir (?) wrote a book called “How we made a million dollars rehabbing great old houses.” She said that what they did was to spackle first. Then she would cut a glass pane that would fit snugly over the original. They nailed the top sill shut, and used silicone caulk around the edges to seal the glass plates together. They made a silicone seal for the bottom plate by smearing it on the frame, covering with plastic wrap and closing until it hardened. Then they painted. A dual-pane energy efficient window, cheap.

Re: Rehab windows - Posted by Ron (MD)

Posted by Ron (MD) on February 27, 2001 at 21:49:08:

Mark,

I rehab houses with ARV of $60k-$75k and that are 35-75 years old. I never keep the original windows.

One disclaimer: I only deal in townhouses, so typically I am replacing about 8 windows. I did a few detached homes a couple of years ago and don’t even look at them now…the repair costs are usually too high and the ARV is not that much higher than a townhouse.

I figure about $200 per window. We have to get them custom-made for these old houses and they have to be insulated…the window itself is usually around $130-$140 and I figure $50-$75 to install them and wrap the outside with aluminum.

I do it for a couple of reasons.

They look better. (If you look up and down the street, usually you will see that half, or more, have new windows…and you can tell.)

They make a difference in the appraisal. (With the FHA flipping controversy, my ARV is virtually dictated by the appraiser…and they do make a favorable adjustment for new windows, although I don’t know what it is.)

Finally, I think it’s the right thing to do. I’m selling these houses for the upper limit in the neighborhood. Since I’m charging top dollar, I want to be able to look my buyers in the eye know that I’m giving them the nicest house. (I also routinely replace furnace systems, roofs, etc. that don’t affect aesthetic appeal.)

Frankly, I think the third reason is the most important one…to me. I say this because about 1/3 of the houses I buy have replacement windows that look fine from the street…but when you look at them up close (and open and close them), you can see that they are junk. I replace those, too.

Having said all that, I’m not certain I would do the same thing in a house with a $50k ARV and $2k cost of replacing the windows. I think it’s probably a good idea to do what I suggested above…stand in the front yard and look at the other houses. If they have replacement windows, you probably need them. If not, it is probably fair to stick with the old ones…after all, you’re selling a $50k house. (I do think I read that in one of your posts, below.)

Ron Guy

Re: Rehab windows - Posted by Jose

Posted by Jose on February 27, 2001 at 20:45:40:

It all depends. I usually replace all the windows if
the code or city ordinance requires screens on windows.
I usually hire someone and pay $40.00 per installation and I provide double insulated windows. Total per window no more than $130.00 each installed.

If the windows are still in good condition, I clean the
windows and repair any broken glass and order custom
made screens, usually bronze in color covering the whole window. They are expensive, but gives the house a new look.

However, my budget always determines how much I will spend on a house. If every other item is already covered and my budget still has some funds left over for new windows, I will install new windows.

I always make sure that what I add or install in a house is well worth it.

Hope, this helps.

Jose

Great Story… - Posted by JPiper

Posted by JPiper on February 28, 2001 at 01:30:30:

I’ve rehabbed quite a few older houses. Spackling and lately “20 minute mud” are two products I can relate to.

JPiper

Re: Nothing to do with Windows… - Posted by Eric C

Posted by Eric C on February 27, 2001 at 22:50:58:

Hi Jose -

Long time no see. How’s it going?

Due to computer problems (off and on) during the year, I lost your email; glad to get the chance to load it again.

Hope you’re well and that the Austin area is doing great.

Yours,

Eric C

Re: Rehab windows - Posted by Mark (WV)

Posted by Mark (WV) on February 27, 2001 at 21:10:13:

Thanks ,any idea how much value you are adding to the house by installing insulated when old ones are the old single payne type ? What I’m looking at will have to be custom built to fit the frames. For example with the house ARV at say 50k with the old ones do you think the cost will be recovered with a higher ARV ?
Mark