REHABBERS: Basement moisture question - Posted by Marty

Posted by JDC on June 21, 2001 at 16:08:33:

how would you apply drylock
if the leak is coming from a crack behind the studs?

REHABBERS: Basement moisture question - Posted by Marty

Posted by Marty on February 12, 2001 at 13:41:20:

Hello All,
I am just finishing my 2nd rehab project and will be using Lease Option as an exit strategy. While cleaning the basement I noticed areas of the walls were covered with effervessence(sp.) so I scraped and wire brushed them. I went to my local Home Depot and asked about using a sealer like Dry Lok before I painted the walls and was told that I could not use it effectively because the walls were painted previously. So I used Kilz and painted. I’ve noticed what seems to be damp spots in several ares and one day after heavy rains I noticed a small puddle in the corner but was not able to tell where it came from. This puddle has only occurred once in the 2 months I’ve been working on the house.
My question is this: Is there any product or procedure that I could follow-short of digging up and waterproofing-that would eliminate the dampness and moisture?
Thank You for your time
God Bless
Marty

Re: REHABBERS: Basement moisture question - Posted by Quinton (IN)

Posted by Quinton (IN) on February 13, 2001 at 07:57:51:

Marty,

I would have cleaned the wall the best I could (strip it if possible with those big wire scrapers that attach to a drill).

Then apply Drylock, 2 coats.

Always make sure you have a dehumidifier going in the wet seasons.

And use the others advise, its good!

This has helped me sell my house.

Re: REHABBERS: Basement moisture question - Posted by Mark

Posted by Mark on February 12, 2001 at 21:07:07:

Marty instead of looking at the walls I would try to find the source.Could be that it needs spashrocks under the gutter drains to move the water farther from the foundation.worst case install french drains around outer walls.
Hope this helps,
Mark

external sump pump - Posted by Anne-ND

Posted by Anne-ND on February 12, 2001 at 16:00:51:

They’re pretty common around here (North Dakota), but
your problem may not be serious enough to warrent this.

Check the line of the soil around your house (make sure it grades away from the basement wall). Also check to see if your downspouts could be extended away from the house.

good luck,
Anne