Rehabbers please read... - Posted by Mercy

Posted by Adam King on July 01, 2002 at 22:00:16:

Most investors will pay a bird dog any where from $100 to $1000. $300 seems to be a common referral rate where I live, but I have also seen it as low as $100. It depends on the investor in question. Find one in your area and ask what they offer. You must then think what is fair for you and your time.
Good luck,
Adam

Rehabbers please read… - Posted by Mercy

Posted by Mercy on July 01, 2002 at 21:23:39:

What is a fair amount that you would pay a bird dog? I am just starting out but I have a lot of time on my hands so I figured this would be a great way to start.

Thanks

Mercy

Re: Rehabbers please read… - Posted by Matt (MPD)

Posted by Matt (MPD) on July 02, 2002 at 03:15:53:

Mercy,
We pay on average about 300-500 for good, solid information. Most of the time I’ll get only so/so type info like they saw a property that was just boarded up but they don’t have any particulars on it. What I find mostly is that contractors are usually my best source of leads. They tend to be in an area for a few days or longer in alot of cases and in that time they can establish a rapport with some of the neighbors so they can get good information without sounding pushy.
I know I went on a tagent but I’d also like to say I like TC’s idea of ‘gifts’ in lieu of cash especially for those not trying to make a living at bird-dogging, and I can’t say as I know of anyone making a living at it anyway. No one person brings us near that many deals on average.
Matt
MPD Investments Inc.
myohnk@mpd-investments.com

Re: Rehabbers please read… - Posted by DB

Posted by DB on July 02, 2002 at 24:33:59:

Search the archives for more info. on bird-dogging. There are numerous posts by Steve Cook, and other investors on this subject.

Its tough to say how much to pay a bird dog. It depends on the area you are in. I am in Florida, and a bird dog fee would be about $500-$2000. If you live in California, it might be more like $2000-$4000. It depends on how much profit is in the deal, and how many times you have given leads to the investor before!

Good Luck, dave

Re: Rehabbers please read… - Posted by TC

Posted by TC on July 01, 2002 at 22:06:37:

Mercy,
Give what U can afford, I try to understand the small perks that might benefit the person. I give one couple movie certificates which suits them fine, they don’t get out much (my wife helped me with that one). A lady I give pre-paid cell cards. I once even gave 2 airfare tickets to Las Vegas because they found me a really good deal (deal so good, wife’s new car is free/clear) the tickets are not expensive where I live. I try not to put a $ amount, instead I use ‘gifts’ to show my thoughtfullness, that keeps them loyal!
This probably doesn’t target your question but worth considering. Hope it helps!