Rehabbers: Question about pulling permits - Posted by Harley-CA

Posted by dewCO on February 10, 2001 at 10:49:21:

All fo those are possibilities, I think you need to ask your local permit people what their requirements are.

Rehabbers: Question about pulling permits - Posted by Harley-CA

Posted by Harley-CA on February 09, 2001 at 15:24:21:

Hello again all,

I have a question about pulling permits on rehab properties. On older homes, if I pull, for example, a plumbing permit, will the county or township make me retrofit the entire building when they come out to do the plumbing inspection?

What are the chance that the inspector, after approving the plumbing work, will create a problem and make my crew have to bring the entire building up to code, including ALL systems that apply in this case?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Harley-CA

Re: Rehabbers: Question about pulling permits - Posted by JasonTX

Posted by JasonTX on February 13, 2001 at 16:59:43:

I am still a newbie, but I am also the son of a plumbing contractor and a journeyman plumber myself. Therefore, I actually have something to post for a change!

DewCO is right about all of the scenario’s you asked about. They are all possible.

However, I would not contact the “plumbing nazi’s” to ask about their requirements. Are you doing this work yourself, or contracting it out? If you are contracting it out the contractor should know the requirements/nitpicks of the city inspector. Sometimes we leave little things wrong just so the inspector feels that he has done his job by noting something. You better make it obvious though, or he will miss it!

I would also like to add that city inspectors are good for one thing. If you are having a hard time finding a contractor that has ties to the inspectors, ask the inspector who he would reccomend. Surely he will not ding the guy that he referred to you.

I always end permit questions with this little piece of advice " Do not ever pull permit if you can help it". It’s just a tax in most cases.