Rehabbers... What color of paint & carpet? - Posted by Erik

Posted by JodyKS on January 26, 2002 at 24:38:45:

If you are trying to purchase carpet and you happen to have a Mobile home factory near by, what I do is when I need carpet I stop by and buy rolls of carpet for about $2.50 a yard… check it out
Also the paint I purchase is from walmart their colorplace brand not the premium, usually covers in one coat, sells for about $8 per gallon (a little cheaper in a 5 gal.)
If the walls are rough, and if you are selling a rehab, I paint the walls with flat! This hides more than satin or semi-gloss.
Jody

Rehabbers… What color of paint & carpet? - Posted by Erik

Posted by Erik on January 23, 2002 at 16:59:33:

I took deed to a house today… it needs interior paint and carpet. It is a 1400 sq.ft. house… therefore, I estimated about $1400 for carpet, lenoleum, whatever ($1 per sq. ft.). And I estimated about 12 gallons of paint for the interior (around $500 for paint & labor).
My questions then… What colors should I use? I figured on white paint for walls, but what color should I paint the trim? What color of carpet? I want a color that looks nice but will not turn off a majority of people.

Re: Rehabbers… What color of paint & carpet? - Posted by DJR-NV

Posted by DJR-NV on January 25, 2002 at 20:03:54:

Erik,

Not sure where you are, but here in Nevada a buck per square foot for floor covering is one sweet deal. I just covered the floor in a 1200 sq. ft. house that I renovated and the bill was nearly 3K. Maybe you are planning to do the work yourself. If that’s the case don’t be penny wise and try to save a few bucks by working long hours doing the renovations yourself. Be sure to weigh the savings in renovations with money lost by not pursuing other deals. Of course when I first started I, like many others, had no choice but to do the work myself as I was poorer than a church mouse.

As far as paint and carpets, I reccomend Valspar brand interior paint sold at Lowes. Great coverage and good price. Consumer’s Reports rates it as number one! Better than the “famous names.” I do the entire house in a semi-gloss white or off-white, and it looks great. I don’t mess with painting the baseboards or trim a different color. That’s a big time waster. Nobody will notice I gaurentee you. As a matter of fact if I’m replacing the carpet I’ll just pull it and then spray the entire interior.

As far as carpets, you’ve already received good advice about that. A nuetral berber with a tight weave is the way to go. Don’t get the absolute cheapest or HUD quality if you are planning to L/O since if you get it back, you chance having to replace it. A carpet that is a step or two upgrade should just need a good steam cleaning. Best of luck.

Don

Re: Rehabbers… What color of paint & carpet? - Posted by Buddy

Posted by Buddy on January 23, 2002 at 20:32:40:

Great question, this is what I do. I go to Duron or Benjamin Moore store and go through their mismixed paint at least once a week. It is top quality and sells for $25-$30/gallon. I use only shades of white for the walls and trim (always contrasting, hopefully the trim is lighter than the walls). By using top quality paint, I can usually cover in one coat, saving money on labor. I buy 5 gallon buckets for $15.00 or gallons for $3.00. Even if I have to buy 10 one gallon buckets of paint that are all slightly different, I just take them home, mix them together in 5 gallon buckets and am ready to roll. I buy my carpet from Pro-Source carpet (I think they are nationwide) at 50% off of retail and usually get a tan berber or light color tight weave as it wears better. Vinyl is purchased from Pro-Source as well and I usually buy the low end stuff for houses under about 150k, in a pattern that looks current and perhaps in a pattern that is also available in a higher end product. I also like 12 x 12 ceramic tile in kitchens. I can usually pick this up in a beige or tan color from Home Depot for about .79/sq. ft.

Re: Rehabbers… What color of paint & carpet? - Posted by Lazaro

Posted by Lazaro on January 23, 2002 at 19:35:16:

This is what I do. But yet again I am not one of the largest Rehabbers here. I did this for both my rentals and for a home I am currently going to sell. I painted the walls antique white. I bought it in 5 gallon buckets at Home Depot. Everything was painted this color. It is a VERY neutral color and covers well. I had to paint GREEN NASTY walls and it covered it. Does a nice job. It is also the cheapest paint the carry and the best price I have seen :slight_smile: It is about $34 for a 5 gallon bucket. Now for the carpet I use a LIGHT TAN color which is VERY NEUTRAL but yet again does a NICE contrast with the antique white walls. Everyone loves it. Try to use VERY NEUTRAL colors. Don’t use very loud colors like purple. Now if you are going to paint the outside I would also stick to light colors, mainly peaches. At least that is what works in my area. What a change carpet and paint can give to a home. Best of Success!!!
Cordially,
Lazaro

Re: Rehabbers… What color of paint & carpet? - Posted by Rob B

Posted by Rob B on January 23, 2002 at 19:32:57:

I’m a painter and investor (and landlord). Best are neutral colors. Flat white ceilings, 1/2 bone white colour with eggshell sheen on walls. Semigloss white on trim - All latex. Carpet - I like tight burbor - usually blueish with some specs or pattern of brown. It holds up well and is priced well. You can probably get “cangaback” That is the carpet with the foam attached for about 6 to 8 dollars a yard. It is easy to intall. If the place already had carpet and has clean underlay and spike strips then you don’t need canga. Get at least 3 qoutes from floor guys.
Hope this healps.

Good post. - Posted by GlenSoCal

Posted by GlenSoCal on January 24, 2002 at 24:12:32:

Good post. One for the printer.

Re: Rehabbers… What color of paint & carpet? - Posted by Erik

Posted by Erik on January 23, 2002 at 19:59:24:

Thanks for the suggestions. How much should I expect to pay for lets say cangaback and labor?.. the house is 1400 sq… ft. How about the painters? What is a fair price for labor?