Relatively Simple Deed Question.... - Posted by Richard-(FL)

Posted by Ronald * Starr(in No CA) on April 10, 2002 at 23:09:25:


This is a legal question. Plese be aware that I am not an attorney. However, that does not stop me from spouting off.

They make up a new deed with them deeding to themselves. The grantor’s names are their names, however, after her married name, they insert the words “who acquired title as _______________” where the blank is filled in with the name under which she acquired the title. They put their names in as the grantees, with whatever vesting they feel is appropriate, such as joint tenants, or whatever. This is something they might well want to consult an attorney or a CPA about, or maybe even both.

They copy the legal description from their earlier deed and then at the bottom, they put their current names under blanks in which they sign.

They sign in front of a notary public.

They take or mail the deed to the county land records office in the county in which the property is recorded and get it recorded. There will be a recording fee. If they are mailing in the deed, they should call the recording office first to find out details.

That is about all there is to it. Please note that they can probably find an attorney who will do this for them for about $75 to $125 dollars.

And please tell them that the method of vesting can have some very important ramifications related to estate planning and taxes. It is not something to toss in carelessly. Getting professional advice is really recommended for this part.

Good Investing and Good Helping***********Ron Starr**********

Relatively Simple Deed Question… - Posted by Richard-(FL)

Posted by Richard-(FL) on April 10, 2002 at 16:29:42:

I was asked by a couple that I know how they could change their name on their warranty deed.

The question came up because her maiden name is listed on the deed (they got married after they bought the house).

Would they just record a new warranty deed, or is it more involved than that?