Relocation of SFR's - Posted by Warren

Posted by Lee on January 02, 1999 at 23:38:14:

The mover bid $5,000 on the job, I paid him $6,000, the job was worth $6,000.

If I get another chance to move one again, I will not hesitate, IF, the money is right. We ended up buying the new lot (in a $60,000 neighborhood)for $2,000 (+ or -), after buying a house with an extra lot then owner financing the house back to them. Wouldn’t you known, they lost it back to us.

Get out there and learn, go through the motions even if you don’t buy it. If nothing else, offer to help the run the job, or whatever, for the person who buys it.
You will only profit by learning.

Yea, I’d do it again. (But the price has to be RIGHT)!

Lee

Relocation of SFR’s - Posted by Warren

Posted by Warren on January 01, 1999 at 20:33:46:

Just looking over local auction listings and came accross some SFR’s being auctioned by the State. Evidently, these homes are in the path of a new highway project and will have to be moved.

A couple of the homes are 3BR / 1 1/2 ba. Minimum bid - $1,000. Of course you’d have to have the land to move them to, & I’m sure relocation costs would be substantial, but was just curious if anyone had done this type of thing before.

Thanks

Warren

Re: Relocation of SFR’s - Posted by Lee

Posted by Lee on January 01, 1999 at 23:06:52:

First thing, what is the address of the site?, I just love a challenge!

I had a 28 by 56 foot house moved about 5 miles in 1990, what a site it was, straight out of the Wizzard of Oz.

I had four companys bid the job, I didn’t choose the cheapest.
The “city” said, “Good, now you have a “new” house, we will need you to meet new construction codes”, I jumped for joy!
We installed: new electrical with a new 200 amp main, a new duplex outlet (plugs) Every 8’. New plumbing All new copper with silver (non lead) soldiered connections, all new 3/4 gas lines “black” pipe.
Of course the city said, “and you have to hire contractors who are licensed in this city”. YeeHii.
The mover said, We’ll have to whack 7 feet off of your roof to comply with rhe regs., something about can’t be to high. I went into a daze. Good thing they had just paid the claim for hail damage.
The mover and the city said, you need a survey, surveyer said your lot is only 147.5 feet deep (plat book said 150 feet), city said your lot does not meet the minimum square footage for new construction, I got a variance.
Did I mention “setbacks”?

This one was the one where I learned the question “Do you really want this”?
Then I relearned the question “Why”?
Would I do it again? Well…

Lee

Re: Relocation of SFR’s - Posted by BankRobber

Posted by BankRobber on January 02, 1999 at 15:58:36:

I have never heard someone say they have had a good experience moving a house, but I can’t help but think that if someone figures out how to cost effectively move a house they could make a good deal of money (assuming they dont have to upgrade the entire house to code as you did). Did the company that moved your house do that exclusively? How did you locate the company that moved your house?

Re: Relocation of SFR’s - Posted by phil fernandez

Posted by phil fernandez on January 02, 1999 at 07:59:06:

Warren,

Lee said it better than I could. A friend of mine bought and moved 4 houses when the airport was expanding their parking lots. The move was about 40 miles and it was a nightmare.

Everything that Lee mentioned will probably happen. My friend spent countless hours on this project. In the end he figured that it would have cost him less to buy a lot and build brand new.

And another thing if moving these houses was such a good deal, why was my friends bid the only bid.

What’s Uri Geller up to? - Posted by John Behle

Posted by John Behle on January 07, 1999 at 19:38:01:

or maybe a group of telepaths from Babylon 5?

Re: Relocation of SFR’s - Posted by Warren

Posted by Warren on January 02, 1999 at 08:32:07:

Thanks guys - I certainly won’t give it another thought!

That’s the great thing about this site - prior to spending hours of time researching this - or worse -
actually being the high bidder - people such as yourselves are there to give guidance from past experiences.

Thanks again, guys!

Warren