Posted by Paul (MO) on March 14, 2002 at 20:11:58:
As a 20 year vetran of the construction business, I can tell you there’s very little chance of asbestos in the plaster. It’s mostly sand, cement, and lime. Another thing you need to do, beyond the proper breathing aparatus is use a pump up sprayer to soak the shingles as you remove them. Asbestos is only dangerous when disturbed, and releases small paricles in the air. Using water to spray down minimizes the dust particles. Rubber gloves are also highly recomended. Any personal protective equipment used is also considered contaminated, it must be disposed of in the same way as the shingles.