Removing Wall with Metal 2x4 studs???? - Posted by matrox

Posted by Jeff M on February 08, 2002 at 13:34:52:

And you are still here to tell us about it???

Removing Wall with Metal 2x4 studs??? - Posted by matrox

Posted by matrox on February 08, 2002 at 13:03:40:

Hi I have a condo in a high rise building. The building uses metal 2x4 studs as opposed to wood to meet fire code.
I need to take out a non load bearing wall/partition. What is the best way to remove this since I cant cut it with a wood saw. Are the studs ussually bolted or nailed in? Should I first attempt to remove the sheetrock first? Use a hack saw or what?
Thanks

Re: Removing Wall with Metal 2x4 studs??? - Posted by Woody (MI)

Posted by Woody (MI) on February 09, 2002 at 03:42:57:

First thing you need to do is to take a hammer and breakout enough sheetrock so that you can see where the conduit or electrical wiring goes to in order to lessen the risk of cutting through it. I don’t recommend just taking a sawsall and making a horizontal cut through the studs because IF the upper track is not fastened well enough to hold the weight of the wall, the top half may come crashing down on top of you. That could be a nasty injury waiting to happen. Make a cut between each stud and pull the sheetrock off. Not only is this safer but it also gets the sheetrock into manageable pieces to take outside. Doing this will create a LOT of dust so you should cover anything you don’t want sheetrock dust getting into.
After removing the sheetrock you will see that the studs are screwed into the track at the top and bottom. Unscrew the studs and take them out of the track. Then take a pry bar, a flat one works best, and pry the track loose.
I spent many years building these types of walls and it is very likely that in a building like this the wiring is afll in conduit. I was just wondring what your plans were for terminating the wiring. Good luck and be safe.

Woody

Re: Removing Wall with Metal 2x4 studs??? - Posted by JD

Posted by JD on February 09, 2002 at 24:11:35:

I would use a reciprocating saw with a bimetal blade. And of course a sledge hammer :).

Re: Removing Wall with Metal 2x4 studs??? - Posted by Andy M

Posted by Andy M on February 08, 2002 at 13:45:39:

If you can get the drywall off first you can just unscrew them and take them down. The quickest way would be to them off, but you will still have to unscrew the top and bottom track.

Re: Removing Wall with Metal 2x4 studs??? - Posted by Jeff M

Posted by Jeff M on February 08, 2002 at 13:25:44:

If you are talking about the metal studs that are like sheet metal shaped into an “H” pattern, I have cut these with a carbide tipped Radial arm saw many times. As long as there is no iron in the metal, there is no problem. However, I am talking about cutting it on the table of my saw, not while it is in a wall. If I were you, I would probably buy or rent a “Sawzall”, and but a bi-metal blade (cuts both wood and metal), and cut right through the drywall and metal studs at the same time. Just be sure there are no wires inside the wall. Good luck.

I second the no wires in the wall comment! - Posted by jeremy

Posted by jeremy on February 08, 2002 at 13:29:20:

Been there done that.