Rent Late -but tenant not in. - Posted by Mike (MS)

Posted by Bill K. (AZ) on March 31, 1999 at 23:22:50:

Mike,

If she has changed her mind because of a mistake made in the rental agreement, I’d return her deposit and look for another tenant. Your time is better spent on things that make you serious money. Trying to collect late fees, or defend yourself against a lawsuit for wrongful withholding of a deposit, is NOT time well spent.

I hope she ends up moving in. But, if not, cut your losses and move on. It doesn’t sound like finding a new tenant would be too difficult based on the fact that you had tenants signed up several weeks ahead of expected move-in anyway.

Good luck.

Bill K. (AZ)

Rent Late -but tenant not in. - Posted by Mike (MS)

Posted by Mike (MS) on March 31, 1999 at 21:35:18:

Here’s a dumb move on my part but I need some advice. I built three houses for rent and a six weeks ago I collected deposits and leases on all three. I told tenants houses should be ready middle of march however we would start occupancy on April 1st., good thing because the weather got me and the houses werent ready untill the 29th. My mistake was on one of the leases I typed up. I usually collect rent on the 25th and have the tenants occupy on the 1st. However one of the lease I typed as occupy on the 25th. Turns out the house was not ready until the 29th. The tenant had no problem with the delay. However I busted my but to get it ready and now the tenant cant be found and has not given me rent. She gave me a deposit. She is due to move in and pay rent on the 1st (a verbal agreement that included changing the lease at that time).

NOW. I have not heard from her and I think she is avoiding my calls (starting to worry me). If she does not show up what would by my next best move. Return her deposit and look elsewhere? Keep her deposit and re advertise. If I charge her late fees what would I base the date on. I appreciate some advice.

Re: Rent Late -but tenant not in. - Posted by Laure

Posted by Laure on April 01, 1999 at 07:46:51:

Find a new Tenant NOW ! IF she miraculously apprears after you have re-rented it, tell her she forfeited her deposit by not paying her first month’s rent on time. It was just a “holding deposit”. If you feel guilty, offer her part of it back. It DID cost you again to advertise and cost you time to find a new Tenant. And time is money. If she gets into a P*ssing match with you, give her the money back, it’s not worth the fight… but if you don’t get in touch with her before you find a new Tenant, I would keep the cash.

Laure :slight_smile: