Renter question - Posted by Frank

Posted by Penny on June 21, 2007 at 13:15:34:

Although it doesn’t sound like there was much left of value, you might want to search the legal forum archives for posts on landlord obligations for similar situations regarding tenant personal property left behind.

Renter question - Posted by Frank

Posted by Frank on June 21, 2007 at 05:59:52:

I have a renter that is past due on her rent, her electric is turned off, gas bill unpaid, water bill unpaid, she has left the property, I am unable to contact her. I have posted a eviction notice on her door stating that she must vacate the premises. Should I go ahead with the eviction process or remove whats left of her stuff and rerent the apartment. Any help would be appreciated.
Frank

Re: Renter question - Posted by Rich-CA

Posted by Rich-CA on June 21, 2007 at 16:25:29:

Many states have specific guidelines on abandonment of the property by a tenant. You need to attempt to contact the tenant, including through any references or emergency contacts they provided. You may also have to post a notice on the front door. You need to find out what the requirements are for “making sure” the property is abandoned before you can get possession.

Re: Renter question - Posted by FrankIL

Posted by FrankIL on June 21, 2007 at 11:40:43:

If she has abandoned the property that’s great news and you don’t need to do an eviction. Are all her belongings out as well? If the place is completely empty you can take over now. I have a clause in my lease that I use that states what is considered abandonment and that I have the right to relet the property if that occurs. If you need to track her down for a judgement you can check the post office to see if she left a forwarding address. You can also use www.mrlandlord.com which will show where she turned up once she applies for tenancy somewhere else and uses her SS#.

Re: Renter question - Posted by Frank

Posted by Frank on June 21, 2007 at 12:20:34:

Thanks for the info about the abandonment clause, and the www.mrlandlord.com site. I will be updating my leases today! She left a couch, a couple of bed frames and a lot of trash. She hasn’t been there in weeks. I wonder what the worst case scenario would be if I throw her crap out.
Frank

Re: Renter question - Posted by Frank

Posted by Frank on June 21, 2007 at 13:54:38:

Put her things in storage - you can rent one of those garages very cheaply for a few months. I wouldn’t throw her stuff out - save yourself some headaches if she comes back and demands her things. Get the locks changed immediately and rerent it. Remember that a tenant who doesn’t pay and moves is much better than a tenant who doesn’t pay and doesn’t move. I’d get the place cleaned up and re-rented immediately. You’ll be stuck with her utility bills but you should have a security deposit left to cover those.