Renting to Singles - Posted by Gary (VA)

Posted by Mark Mallen on December 02, 1999 at 19:18:49:

At least they are being upfront about the third person. Rising housing prices are forcing many people to take on roommates. I usually charge more rent when there are roommates.
Screening the tenants will help you avoid future problems.Also, make sure that the couple can afford to pay rent on their own if their friend moves out.

Renting to Singles - Posted by Gary (VA)

Posted by Gary (VA) on December 02, 1999 at 18:22:08:

It seems that more and more as time gos by I am getting a large number of applicants for my single family homes which are boyfriend and girlfriend (many times with a child) who are not married. Today I showed a house to such a couple and they inquired about their desire to have yet another single individual occupy the house with them. Since this is becoming more common, I am interested in how other experienced landlords handle these type of applicant, with particular regard to qualification, lease provisions and setting of rents. Thanks.

Had a similar situation along these same lines… - Posted by SusanL.–FL

Posted by SusanL.–FL on December 03, 1999 at 12:34:48:

I sold a SFH to a husband and (I thought) his ‘wife’ using a ‘wraparound’. Had the closing in my lawyers office. Husband was always saying ‘my wife this’, my wife that’ so I ASSUMED he was married. Wrong…

Long story short…They weren’t married …and because of his culture/heritage (whatever you want to call it), he did not want his ‘wife’ on the mortgage or deed. (So much for protecting her and their 2 little kids.)

Well, guess what! So that I was protected, my lawyer made her sign all of the papers. It took some doing but she finally came into their office.

I really wish he had been up front (and honest) with me to start. But who knows, I might not have sold him the property (becuase of it).

This guy still seems to be very ‘cautious’ and untrusting. For instance, after I sold the property to him, I made up monthly payment coupons for him to submit with his payment each month. (I used the SAME exact format of the one I have from my bank for one of my loans.)

I even told him I would sign/date it each month as a receipt. Not good enuf… :slight_smile:

‘Susanita! Susanita! Isn’t there something else you can give me, por favor?’
(Si Si!) So—now I handwrite a receipt for him EVERY month.

Re: Renting to Singles - Posted by d.henderson

Posted by d.henderson on December 02, 1999 at 20:11:23:

make sure that you get a rental application on each one, plus do a credit check. Have all sign the lease, where you can hold each one responsible for the lease. There is a site that can help better than I can and it’s…http://www.mrlandlord.com/
Good Luck and protect YOUR property.
dee-Texas