REO-I GOT IT!!! - Posted by BR2

Posted by kathleen on April 30, 1999 at 22:52:35:

These properties are already owned by the bank (or lending institution), so you would not need to take over payments or pay the commission. My experience has been that the original list price is just about the balance of the mortgage, but you don’t need to be concerned about that. The bank eventually wants to get defaulted real estate loans off their books at any price, so you can get some good deals. Ask the realtor to submit letters of intent to see if there is interest. You can write up the letter for him/her. If you haven’t done these before, I submit many of these for Steve Cook (SCook85). Either one of us would be happy to step you through it and I’m sure many others on the site would help also. I will be out of town until Wednesday, but can help then if you need it. Good
luck!

REO-I GOT IT!!! - Posted by BR2

Posted by BR2 on April 27, 1999 at 17:33:05:

Just wanted to thank ‘whoever’ responded to my post on 4/20 regarding a REO I was going to see and had questions about the price I should offer.

Whoever answered suggested I get right over there because it was a new listing and it would probably go quick. As soon as I got my boots and flashlight I was out the door.

Submitted an offer 10k less than the asking price. Just a little clean-up, paint and carpet and it’s ready to rent!

Just wanted to thank someone for their advice. Sorry, I can’t remember the name (Tim sounds familiar, but I’m not sure).

BR2

Re: REO-Where did you find it? - Posted by Bob-MD

Posted by Bob-MD on April 28, 1999 at 19:19:51:

Where or how did you find the REO? Any ideas on how to locate REOs would be appreciated.

Bob

Re: REO-I GOT IT!!! - Posted by Millie I.

Posted by Millie I. on April 27, 1999 at 23:20:24:

BR2,

Good for you. You are learning the tricks of purchasing REO. Grab it before the competitors get to it. I hope you got it for a good price.

Congrats,
Millie I.

Re: REO-Where did you find it? - Posted by BR2

Posted by BR2 on April 29, 1999 at 07:43:12:

Another investor (slumlord) was trying to sell his property and just happen to mention this property was vacant. Of course I pretended I wasn’t interested then raced to the courthouse to do my homework.

I’m not bragging, but I’ll give myself an ‘A’ on this one.

Good Luck!

Re: REO-Where did you find it? - Posted by kathleen

Posted by kathleen on April 28, 1999 at 21:03:05:

Bob,
Many are listed on the MLS. You can ask a RE agent to pull a list for you. In Maryland, I put in foreclosure, pre-forclosure and REO in the field called"current financing". Many agents specialize in these properties and understand that they will be bought by investors.

Re: REO-I GOT IT!!! - Posted by BR2

Posted by BR2 on April 28, 1999 at 07:40:01:

Millie,

It really surprised me when the offer was accepted. They don’t know I would of paid the asking price. I could flip this baby tomorrow for 10k with no problem, but it’s a definite keeper. The best part is that my fix-up costs will be minimal compared to my other ‘jewels’.

I love this job!

Re: REOs in MLS - Posted by Dave T

Posted by Dave T on April 29, 1999 at 22:41:50:

I asked my friendly realtor for a listing of properties with keywords “foreclosure” and REO. I got about six hits.

Since all these properties are listed, the seller will have to pay the realtor commission. Are you seeing offers where the buyer will take over payments and pay the realtor commission?

What about the arrears on the mortgage? Does the seller disclose how much it would take to reinstate the mortgage if asked prior to making an offer?

Re: REOs in MLS - Posted by kathleen

Posted by kathleen on April 30, 1999 at 22:52:35:

These properties are already owned by the bank (or lending institution), so you would not need to take over payments or pay the commission. My experience has been that the original list price is just about the balance of the mortgage, but you don’t need to be concerned about that. The bank eventually wants to get defaulted real estate loans off their books at any price, so you can get some good deals. Ask the realtor to submit letters of intent to see if there is interest. You can write up the letter for him/her. If you haven’t done these before, I submit many of these for Steve Cook (SCook85). Either one of us would be happy to step you through it and I’m sure many others on the site would help also. I will be out of town until Wednesday, but can help then if you need it. Good
luck!