Repair of large garden tub? - Posted by Ray(Ga)

Posted by RBlack on April 26, 2002 at 11:06:40:

It was a first time experience and it looks it. It only bugs me when I am sitting there staring at it.:wink:
While you are at it it seems like a career, and if you don’t have anything better to do you could probably become real good at it. Is that what I want to do, hmmmm, no.

Repair of large garden tub? - Posted by Ray(Ga)

Posted by Ray(Ga) on April 24, 2002 at 11:29:06:

I have a large tub in the master bath that has a crack that extends for several inches across the top section of the tub. This does not cause the bowl to leak because it is not located down into the water cavity, however it is a cosmetic thing. You can see that this is fairly thin plastic and I wonder if anyone knows of a way to repair this cosmetically? I would hate to have to replace this tub if there is a method to repair it. I would greatly appreciate it if someone could enlighten me on this. Thanks in advance…Ray(Ga)

Re: Repair of large garden tub? - Posted by refunds

Posted by refunds on April 26, 2002 at 10:49:48:

We just repaired our large garden tub. It had one large crack and two small cracks. We did the fiber glass repair and epoxy paint and they seem to be holding quite well. Be warned it has to set for three days before you can use it. A breathing mask is a must. Be careful with the fiberglass repair and keep it as thin as possible becasue it is very hard to sand smooth. It took almost a weeks time to do it. I wish we had sawed it up and put in a new tub but I couldn’t figure out how to get a new tub in the door (or window). I also think it would have been better if we had sprayed the epoxy on instead of using a brush. You can still see the brush marks. And NO, I am not going to sand it down and paint it again!
HTH
RBlack

Re: Repair of large garden tub? - Posted by ScottS(NC)

Posted by ScottS(NC) on April 24, 2002 at 12:48:27:

Ray,

I have seen fiberglass bottoms put in over these plastic (garden tubs). It is not cheap but is usually about half-three quarters the price of a new tub installed. Look in your yellow pages under Bath Tubs, or fiber glass resurfacing company. These tubs generally look better than new and have a quarter inch thick floor that can be textured (rippled) or have sand added for a nice nonskid surface. HTH Take Care ScottS(NC)

Re: Repair of large garden tub? - Posted by Randy

Posted by Randy on April 24, 2002 at 12:45:14:

Ray, my wife dropped something on our garden tub (constructed of fiberglass)and created a big chip in it. I went down to the local Home Depot, spoke to one of orange apron guys and went home with a repair kit, cost about $10+/-. The kit contained the epoxy and catalyst, a plastic spreader and some very fine sandpaper. I followed the directions and it turned out great… took about an hour total. If you also have some 600 grit wet/dry paper it will smooth the finish more. Follow the repair with a Gel Coat (I think this is the brand name in Home Depot) to polish and it was invisible. Granted it was not a crack, only a chip. My tub is white, the repair material was white. Hope this helps…

Re: Repair of large garden tub? - Posted by brad

Posted by brad on April 26, 2002 at 10:55:10:

does it look decent or is it real clear looking at it that it was a doit you self job. im getting ready to do a shower stall and wanted to know if it is worth it.