Replacement glass vs. replacement windows - Posted by ScottE

Posted by RR Smith on May 29, 2000 at 08:36:51:

One of the things a Robert Allen student learns early on is that the more people that you can help along the way the better off you are. If your networking and team making skills are low you will never make it to the next level, which not only involves using OPMoney but, OPBrains, OPTime, and OPSkills. By networking with tradesmen you can built up a team that can rehab a property in VERY LITTLE TIME (and at a low cost), and get almost instant expert estimations of what the project will cost.
Sure you might not need a finish carpenter THIS TIME… But it will be nice to know one when installing wood flooring or kitchen cabinets. It will also save you time and ENERGY that you need to focus on doing more deals (WHICH PAYS YOU THE MOST). But what the heck try and replace them yourself that is the only way that (some people) will learn what exactly is involved and to appreciate what the professional is up against.
Mr. Branstetter is absolutely right you should never do deals or improvements based on just tax considerations, however if you are doing a project ANYWAY you could do it in way that will maximize the (tax) benefits of that necessary rehab.

Replacement glass vs. replacement windows - Posted by ScottE

Posted by ScottE on May 28, 2000 at 12:18:46:

I have a question about taking care of some windows that I have in a (rental) duplex. (Built in 1984)
The insulated windows have blown seals and are ‘foggy’ looking. I have obtained several estimates for replacing the glass only and they are kind of pricey. Then I went to Home Depot and found replacement windows for about the same money or less in some sizes.
My questions:
Should I go ahead and replace the whole windows myself or just have the glass replaced?
Why are the vinyl replacement windows more expensive that the aluminum?

Thanks!
Scott

Re: Replacement glass vs. replacement windows - Posted by Bud Branstetter

Posted by Bud Branstetter on May 28, 2000 at 17:26:55:

It’s been a while but I learned not to do real estate things because of tax considerations solely. I doubt that the replacement vinyl windows installed are the same or less than new double pane inserts. Why not replace the inserts yourself. A heat gun, a painters knife and some silicon is all you need.

labor is materials times 2 - Posted by RR Smith

Posted by RR Smith on May 28, 2000 at 13:01:40:

and improvements are tax deduct. over several years for maximum benefit against job income.
The glass replacement includes the cost of labor installation, so unless you are a finish carpenter you should get a few quotes on replacing the windows with vinyl double panes. This would NOT be a repair but would then be classified as an IMPROVEMENT and could be MACRS depreciated (IRS form 4562)over many years. This advice should not be followed blindly and your tax professional should be consulted (your milage my vary).