replacing a deck - composite or pressure-treated? - Posted by Angela

Posted by Dave J on July 18, 2002 at 09:24:33:

I did my own deck out of trex this summer. I love the stuff. It works just like wood but without all the inherant problems. They just came out with a new color called “Saddle” it finally looks like wood instead of all the others that fade to some shade of gray in a couple of months. However, it is pricey. I don’t know if I would spend the money on a rental. Its more than twice the cost of PT where I live and if you decide to use their handrail system then you will be floored. Would I do it again? Yes but, only if I’m keeping the house for a long time. Plus as a contractor I build them myself and love doing it so that makes a bit of a difference.

replacing a deck - composite or pressure-treated? - Posted by Angela

Posted by Angela on July 18, 2002 at 03:14:42:

Hi everyone,

I need to replace a deck on a rental house. The existing deck “planks” are particle board, and I don’t think any sealant, etc., was ever applied (blame it on a newbie real estate agent and newbie investors).

The AZ heat and monsoons have been really tough on the existing deck, which self-destructed after only a few years. It’s time to replace the deck - but should I go with pressure-treated wood (tried and true, cheap, but requires a lot of maintenance) or composite decking material (newfangled, more expensive to buy, but zero maintenance).

I am leaning towards the composite decking. Has anyone had any experience with this material? Is it as long-lasting and maintenance-free as they advertise?

I would be especially interested in hearing from my fellow AZ investors.

Thanks for your help,
Angela

Re: replacing a deck - composite or pressure - Posted by LeonNC

Posted by LeonNC on July 18, 2002 at 10:41:53:

I built my own deck out of pressure treated wood a few years ago and it’s holding up fine. Hand pick every board. If you let them do it they’ll take what’s on top. If it’s not too far off the ground maybe you could remove it and pour a patio. At least they can’t tear that up as easily.

Leon