Replacing floor covering--Vinyl sheets or squares - Posted by Marty

Posted by Al Gordon on November 29, 1999 at 17:08:34:

As an investor and not a professional floor installer, I completely agree with Joe regarding the VCT flooring. I just had it installed in both sides of a recent duplex purchase (kitchen, dining, and half-bath). LOOKS GREAT! Didn’t cost as much as ceramic, just a tad more than sheet vinyl, and it should last for at least 10 years or more. Cost averaged over time beats all other options!

My nickle…

–Al Gordon

Replacing floor covering–Vinyl sheets or squares - Posted by Marty

Posted by Marty on November 29, 1999 at 08:46:40:

I’m looking at buying a house that needs cosmetic work.Decent neighborhood.Blue collar,beginners or empty nester house.2 bedroom.I plan on fixing up and using L/O as an exit stategy. Found motivated seller,did the comps–numbers work out.My question is this–since this is my first investment I was wondering if I should have vinyl sheeting put down or use peel and stick squares on the bathroom and kitchen floors?The contractor recommended peel and stick since he looks at the house as a rental.I think sheeting looks better and since I am looking for someone to buy I thought this would be a good selling point.But I am a beginner.So I go to the experienced masses for input.(Thats you!)Thanks in advance.God bless.
Marty

As A Newbie Investor, But An Experienced Flooring Installer… - Posted by Joe Delbecq

Posted by Joe Delbecq on November 29, 1999 at 10:20:00:

Here’s my two cents…

If your are going to be responsible for the property for awhile (rent/lease)… don’t skimp on the flooring.

The extra $$$ you put in for quality flooring will put you financially ahead in the long run.

I’d steer away from “peel & stick” tiles. Easy to install but don’t last long even if installed correctly. No way to “seal” seams to prevent water penetration, and they nick and scratch easily.

If you go with sheet goods… don’t use the “el cheapo” stuff. Nicks and tears easily and the wear layer is very thin. Also sheet goods are difficult to install correctly if you plan on doing it yourself.

Ceramic tile… good choice for bath. Just be sure to use dark gray or black grout. And be sure to “seal” the grout a week or two after installation. Also… if area is going to get wet… be sure to install over “cement board” to prevent moisture damage to sub floor.

Here’s what I do for a local investor that has stood the test of time…

Kitchen = Commercial Vinyl Composition Tile (VCT) installed over new 1/4" subfloor… and sealed with commercial wax and buffer. This is the same flooring used in most supermarkets. The neat thing about this tile is that the “color” goes completetly thru the tile, so it can be “buffed down” periodically to give you a brand new look every year or so.

Bath = Ceramic tile installed over “cement board” with dark grout. Be sure to seal the grout after installation. I don’t recommend ceramic in kitchens unless you use quarry tile (or something similar) that has “color” completely thru… due to the possiblity of scratching and chipping.

Now just as important as the floor covering… is the sub-floor. Be sure you have a good solid foundation to lay your flooring. In kitchens… 1/4 inch luan plywood should be adequate. In bath areas… I’d recommend Weyerhouser structure board if using vinyl,
or cement board if using ceramic.

Hope that helps.

Best Regards,

Joe Delbecq

definitely Vinyl sheets - Posted by Katie

Posted by Katie on November 29, 1999 at 09:32:30:

Have it rolled by professionals. This is an amazingly inexpensive job, if you don’t go for the expensive stuff. Even if you were just going to rent forever, the squares get torn, kicked up and water gets under them if they aren’t laid well. Paying someone to lay tiles (squares) is much more expensive, and if you go with the squares they had better be laid professionally and don’t even think about going with the cheap tiles, they don’t last. Fixing the mess is a headache that you don’t want to deal with.