Rich Dad, Poor Dad Lessons Ring True.... - Posted by Emmett-NC

Posted by Scott (AK) on April 11, 2000 at 20:15:37:

Emmett, Kevin,

Another thing a lot of those young buck LT’s don’t think or believe at their young age.

The military does produce some very good leaders and many of your Fortune 500 companies have “retired” military on their board of directors.

My point is, maybe we should be proud the civilian sector looks at us for our leadership abilities.

But as for me, in the spirit of Rich Dad Poor Dad, I’m on my own the very next day.

Scott (AK)

Rich Dad, Poor Dad Lessons Ring True… - Posted by Emmett-NC

Posted by Emmett-NC on April 11, 2000 at 17:01:00:

Hey all!,
As some of you who know me, I am a First Lieutenant in the Army at Fort Bragg, NC. I was recently in charge of setting up a memorialization ceremony for Major General James M. Wright, who died unexpectantly from pancreatic cancer. He was the 45th Quartermaster General, and I really loved the guy as a leader. In the ceremony they handed out a program, with all his accomplishments…Command at all levels, combat service, numerous medals, etc etc. But there was one line on the program that I saw that told me a graver story…He served for over 32 years…and the last line on the Bio was “Employed by Dell Computer”. I don’t think others at the ceremony really noticed it like I did. It really made what Kiyosaki has said make sense. Why does a famed Army general with over 32 years of service, over 60 years old have to get a job when he is SUPPOSED to be retired???
If that does not give you food for thought as to the future of a SECURE job, then I don’t know what does. Well all I hope it makes ya think a little bit. Happy Investing!

Re: Rich Dad, Poor Dad Lessons Ring True… - Posted by chris

Posted by chris on April 12, 2000 at 04:31:24:

Emmett-

What did he do at Dell? I have a feeling it was fairly high up in the company and high paying with all sorts of additional benefits for giving Dell the honor of having MGeneral Wright’s name and experience. Maybe this was a new challenge for the general and he didn’t need the $$$-but the $$$ were a nice side dish. As for the folks as Rob mentioned who are working at McDonald’s,etc. I agree with him totally.

-Chris

Re: Rich Dad, Poor Dad Lessons Ring True… - Posted by Zee

Posted by Zee on April 12, 2000 at 04:16:21:

I haven’t read that book yet, but hope to begin it this wekend.

What attracts me to REI (at age 47) if the opportunity to have something besides my body earning for me. In most jobs you are only earning so long as you are on the job. This is especially true of professional types, sales types, techs, and other who live fee to fee.

What I am looking for is somebody else paying me (actually, buying my future networth for me), whether or not I can still go put in the time my job requires, or its physical labor. As one professional friend said it: “If I don’t personally work my business for a day, I don’t get paid.”

And I’d love it IF I could come home from my main job and NOT have to spend my “free time” trying to do a second income thing to make up for the lack of income from the first.

By getting started today, I believe I’ll get in about 20 years of capital accumulation, paid by others, so I’ll have something for myself at an age I will still be relatively healthy enough to also enjoy it.

An investment ought to provide capital for future income production even when you can’t personally work.

Re: Rich Dad, Poor Dad Lessons Ring True… - Posted by Eric C

Posted by Eric C on April 11, 2000 at 23:58:45:

Hi -

Nothing Mike Dell does would surprise me. I think that the employment of a retired Quartermaster General, who focused on logistical issues and innovations throughout his distinguished career, would be a wise move indeed.

Michael Dell and General Wright may have had more in common than you think. The General was on the payroll not for his past accomplishments, which were many, nor for his physical presence, but instead for the wealth of experience and knowledge he brought to the table.

Yours,

Eric C

Re: Rich Dad, Poor Dad Lessons Ring True… - Posted by Kevin Rozina

Posted by Kevin Rozina on April 11, 2000 at 18:17:07:

Emmett
I’m quite sure MG Wright was a great soldier, but I seriously doubt that he “had” to get a job when he retired from the Army. I’ve been in the Army since 1981 and have seen a good number of generals retire.A General officer with over 32 years of service has a good retirement income. This is not meant to direspect you LT but lets not give the civilian sector any false impression’s. After 30-35 years of being a hard charging army officer, most find it hard to go home and sit on the porch anyway.

Kevin(GA)

Re: Rich Dad, Poor Dad Lessons Ring True… - Posted by Rob FL

Posted by Rob FL on April 11, 2000 at 20:33:51:

Not to show any disrespect to you or the deceased MG Wright. And this doesn’t apply to everybody just 95% of the people.

I absolutely love hearing older people who are at retirement age say, “I am working at XYZ Company because I am bored.” I see them in the grocery stores, Wal-Mart, McDonalds, various office jobs, temp agencies, toll booths, etc. and I just have to laugh. Come on, if you really don’t need to work, why are you putting up with all the crap that those places dish out. Standing on your feet for 6 hours a day for $7 or $8 an hour. Putting up with customers who just as soon spit in your face as look at you. How do I know? I have worked in those places myself. Yuck! If they are that bored and don’t need the money, why aren’t they volunteering to help the less fortunate or at least doing something enjoyable? Hmmmmm? Why did Congress just pass a law allowing people on social security (i.e. welfare) to not be penalized for working jobs past age 65? Hmmmm again?

One of my favorite sayings. I call it the 11th Commandment: “Thou shalt not kid thyself.” Nuf said.